Registered for the Louisiana Marathon tomorrow

Options
I've been training for today's 5K and it felt really easy so I registered for the full marathon tomorrow.

Going to bed early tonight and I sm having spaghetti right now for carbs.

Anyone else ever did this? Success stories? Feedback or advice?

I plan for a slow pace and to focus on finishing. I can usually run 6 miles with no problem. Big difference between 6 miles and 26 miles.

Replies

• threefancy35
    threefancy35 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Advice - bring your insurance card with you in case you need medical attention
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You should probably train for a 10k then gradually a half and eventually a marathon.
    Not wise to jump right into a marathon from a 5k.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    This has to be a joke. You are in no way prepared to run 26.2 miles.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Pours one out for the OP:

pour-one-out.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...for the update post tomorrow night.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Alas poor OP. They were sweetly and naively optimistic and the world is a less bright place without them.

Amen.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking OP will be the top placed amateur in the field tomorrow.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Wow...

That's quite a jump in mileage.

Captain Hindsight here, but definitely would've went to something more manageable... and right after you ran a 5k? That's a good way to injure yourself as you need time to rest and recuperate.

Regardless, good luck and keep us posted.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Tagging because I really want to know how this worked out.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit, but I ran/walked a half-marathon with no training (long story why). It was horrible. I mean, I felt good that I completed it, but I couldn't walk properly for three days after.

I wouldn't recommend it, let alone a full marathon. But good luck and I also look forward to updates.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    IN
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    In. I'm training for my first marathon. Maybe if this goes well for you I'll just wing it too. :o
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    So...how did it go?
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    So...how did it go?

We gather today to mourn the passing of the OP.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Legit curious to know how this went (unless - strong possibility of a troll post).

I had a friend once who ran a marathon having only ever run 6 miles. She made it, so its possible. She also went to dinner that night in a wheelchair and hated the whole experience so much she didn't run for the next 8 years.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Legit curious to know how this went (unless - strong possibility of a troll post).

I had a friend once who ran a marathon having only ever run 6 miles. She made it, so its possible. She also went to dinner that night in a wheelchair and hated the whole experience so much she didn't run for the next 8 years.

LOL
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but I know at least three people who worked out regularly, played a lot of basketball at the gym, etc. They all successfully ran their first marathon without focused training... all were in their mid 30's. I can't run a 5k without training, but I am not everyone and I am 56 years old.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I finished, guys. I just finished and haven't got my time yet. Definitely under 6 and over 5:30. No stopping, no walking, and a couple of bathroom breaks.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    hmrambling wrote: »
    I finished, guys. I just finished and haven't got my time yet. Definitely under 6 and over 5:30. No stopping, no walking, and a couple of bathroom breaks.

You are awesome!! Congrats!!