Options

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Broken metabolism. <lol>

No.

Just ... No.

Added bonus: Starvation mode, as you think of it, does not exist.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    No offence OP, but men aren't supposed to be skinny and scrawny :neutral_face:

No offense ... but blondes are supposed to be bimbos.

No offense ... but women are supposed to remain barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen.

No offense ... but "no offense" doesn't exactly excuse the offense, does it?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You are only just about within the healthy weight range

If you want to maintain on more calories you will need to build some musculature ..which would entail a higher scale weight but you can bulk and cut until happy

I would visit the doctor just to check you are completely healthy though as you are very close to underweight and you post some red flags that makes minds then to possible ed issues

Be healthy
  • RoadieKill104
    RoadieKill104 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone!

Basically what I'm getting out of all this is that im probay fine, and that my body at least is appearing to function the way it's supposed to at this weight, for better or for worse.

Moral of the story: if I get bigger my maintenance will be higher. It makes sense academically, I guess I was just comparing myself to "the average man" too much when reading about maintenance levels being much higher than mine (for reasons stated above) and starting to freak out over it I suppose.

New question haha : is it possible to kind of bulk and gain lbm while staying semi lean? I don't like the idea of packing on weight with the whole to yo bulk cut routines, as I understand they simply involve cycles of eating lots and lifting to just basically gain weight, followed by basically cutting the way I already have and shrinking down? (Genery speaking of course, and I know I'm not tuly "cutting)

Thoughts or suggestions?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Body policing isn't cool.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Body policing isn't cool.

Agreed; not cool at all.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Ah, but it is offensive.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    As a female at 5'8, I wouldn't want to be 128lbs. As a male, you should be weighing more. My husband at 5'5 weighed 140lbs when I met him but he was very solid...

My concern for you wouldn't be that you are scrawny but unhealthy... That is all :(
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Wow. Seriously?
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    OP, you may want to increase your calorie intake to maybe around 2200-2500 calories or so, to get you up to closer to 145lbs or 150. If you want some 'better' options, try goign for protein powder/protein bars. A good goal for gaining for you would probably be 150g of protein a day.

However you may want to talk to your doctor, just to make sure everything is ok. I dont want to scare you or anything, but weight loss like that, and being underweight, could be a sign of an underlying condition
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Pizza can have a lot of sodium. You don't need to be sensitive to sodium to have water weight gain from eating out. Fortunately water weight is temporary.

Sometimes people do develop food sensitivities as adults. This doesn`t necessarily come from dieting. Pay attention to how you feel when you try different foods. It may be you can still enjoy pizza or ice cream, if you use a gluten-free crust, or low-lactose milk/cream. Avoiding some foods may help prevent bloating, and discomfort. Good luck :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Hey guys and gals!

So I have a concern:

I have been struggling to get on the right track with my fitness for a bit now. I've been experimenting with my diet and exercise regimen's, and I'm beginning to get worried that I may have done some damage, or am at least at risk of damaging something.

Stats: 27 y/o male, 128 lbs, 5' 9"

I work a desk job and do 30 minute HIIT sessions 5 x per week. (INSANITY: MAX 30) I really enjoy HIIT, as I've never really been a fan of lifting.

I'm happy being a small guy, but lately I feel very sensitive to anything but whole foods. i.e. if I do have a couple slices of pizza, ice cream occasionally, etc. I feel like I feel it immediately on the scale and around my stomach.

At this point I feel like I'm basically MAINTAINING on ~1800 calories per day. I get that I'm a small guy but I feel like this seems low? Even for a desk job worker, I feel like being a man, and working out 5 x a week should drive my maintenance up a bit.

Just as a side note I have lost about 30 lbs over the past 10-11 months, but I'm just starting to get concerned that I may be losing weight and eating in the wrong ways.

Any thoughts?

It is highly unlikely you have a broken metabolism, it is more likely, given your low weight, that you don't need much calories at current state of lean body mass.

Given that you feel sensitive about certain foods, seek a professional to discuss these feelings, that will not help in gaining mass.

Why did you decide to lose 30 lbs - 128 is pretty low for 5'9"?

What are your goals?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    New question haha : is it possible to kind of bulk and gain lbm while staying semi lean? I don't like the idea of packing on weight with the whole to yo bulk cut routines, as I understand they simply involve cycles of eating lots and lifting to just basically gain weight, followed by basically cutting the way I already have and shrinking down? (Genery speaking of course, and I know I'm not tuly "cutting)

Thoughts or suggestions?
    This would depend on how lean you are as it is. The lower your body fat when starting a bulk, the easier time you would have of doing this.

• RoadieKill104
    RoadieKill104 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Maybe the biggest problem I have is that I'm realizing I don't really have any goals, up until now I suppose my goal has been to simply stay fit and maintain. I wouldn't even know where to start to decide to gain weight or mass. What would be realistic? 10-15 lbs? 20 lbs and maintain low body fat? And how would that even be done?

Would I try and put on 25 and then cut down to a 15 lb gain to try and preserve the muscle I created?

It's all very confusing haha
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Maybe the biggest problem I have is that I'm realizing I don't really have any goals, up until now I suppose my goal has been to simply stay fit and maintain. I wouldn't even know where to start to decide to gain weight or mass. What would be realistic? 10-15 lbs? 20 lbs and maintain low body fat? And how would that even be done?

Would I try and put on 25 and then cut down to a 15 lb gain to try and preserve the muscle I created?

It's all very confusing haha

There's a lot of resources out there. If you want to change how your body looks you could look into programs like stronglifts, or youtube vids like feeding fitness. I would suggest posting a thread or search for existing threads under fitness asking for recommendations for a beginning lifting program. I forget, did you say you have access to a gym? If you do, the trainers there can set you up on a program, advise you on form, and give some tips. After newbie gains, gaining up to one pound of muscle a month is what some aim for (bulks are slower than cuts?). Lift weight, body fat %, and how you look in the mirror are possible ways to track goals. Good luck :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Thoughts or suggestions?

Eat 250 extra calories in the 24 hrs post lifting workout.

Would take 14 of such days to see a 1 lb gain, and if workout is good enough, shouldn't be much fat at all.

But you'd need to log your workouts and eat more on those days too - you are attempting to eat above maintenance by a little bit.
    - Progress will be slow.