• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on the illness.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If it's minor (like a cold) I go ahead as normal. If it's more serious I don't workout. Working out is stress on the body and can prolong illness.

Basically my rule of thumb is that if I feel well enough to go to work I'm well enough to workout. If I'm sick enough to call in then I'm sick enough to skip exercise.

eta: if you decide to workout anyway have good manners and don't spread your germs all over the gym
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I don't. But I don't really eat, either. Not that that's a good thing, but it kind of balances out. And with the flu (my most recent illness), I spent way too much time sleeping to worry about working out. Migraines are the same.

Just a cold? Work through it most of the time. Take an unscheduled rest day when it really gets bad, but it usually doesn't get so bad that I can't suck it up for at least 30 minutes.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,440 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you feel. I managed to do a few double bodyrock workouts before my cold really hit me and now I don't want to think about workout out anymore. I just feel terrible. I also noticed I'm undereating quite a bit, but that's nothing I'm worrying about now. I'll get better again in a few days and continue eating normal and doing my workouts (which I do enjoy normally).
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Unless I was sick to the point of not being able to get out of bed I might just modify my daily exercise based on how I feel.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I didn't. I had a fever and a cough which also meant I slept for 2-4 hr nightly. I'd rather take care of my body and recover than try to push through and do a workout (that would be weak and probably stress my already stressed body). It's not worth potentially prolonging an illness just to workout.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    The general guideline is that if the sickness is above your throat (pinkeye, ear infection, head cold), it's fine to work out. I actually get some of my craziest cardio in when my nose and sinus are completely out of commission.

If it's throat or below (stomach bug, bad cough, etc), take a break. You're not doing yourself or anyone else at the gym/track/park any favors.

I suppose encephalitis would be an exception to the first guideline. ;)
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I was really ill for a week and lost 9lbs while basically being bed ridden and ever since I've been unable to lose weight, I even gained this week. I hope my body readjusts soon.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I follow the guideline that @cheshirecatastrophe‌ mentions. If I have a head cold or the like, I work out. It usually produces copious amounts of phlegm, but I deal with that. If I have an upper-respiratory virus that heads below the neck into the chest, then I take it easy, though I will still take a walk or a slow bike ride if I feel up to it.

There are exceptions. I haven't done anything more challenging than a walk since Wednesday, when I had dental implant and sinus lifting surgery; I'm under orders to take a week off from vigorous exercise to allow the bone to start to knit with the implant. I'm feeling a little stir crazy, and looking forward to my run on Wednesday.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If im not up to it, then I take a break or modify and dont freak out. Im just honest and realistic about it. Most people on my friends list who have been ill, have lost weight because their appetite goes at the same time. I already have it prepared in my head the plan for if I become ill or if I get injured, its kind of to be expected.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I have a number of autoimmune diseases (which lead to a weak immune system) so when I get sick, even if it's a cold, it swipes me off my feet and I'm out for a good 4-5 days.

I actually have been sick since last Tuesday… And still am but was feeling well enough to work out yesterday and today. Thank goodness.