Beating my head into a wall... what is going on!

Options
bingfit221
bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I started my fitness journey at 190lbs 2 years ago. I shed 40 lbs in 4 months. I then started weight training and gained about 20 lbs. 5 months ago I decided I was too big and lost 7 lbs.

Now, I am 164 in the mornings and 166 at night. Completely normal yes. BUT I have been back at it for 2 weeks trying to get down to a leaner 155. (I am 5 foot 9 and at 148lbs my BF was 16-17%)

My body fat now varies between 19 &20%.

I have been perfect with my food (though you can only see 2 days because my old account locked me out). I use my heart rate monitor for my cardio workouts so my calories burned should be pretty close. I am in the gym 6 days a week.

Monday: chest back shoulders bi tris and medium intensity steady state
Tuesday: steady state and legs
Wednesday: HIIT & core
Thursday: rest
Friday: chest back shoulders bis tris steady state
Saturday: Legs & HIIT
Sunday: hardcore as fast as possible 5-7000m row & core
Total workout time per week: 10 hours

I am eating 1400-1700 calories and my calculated (Harris Benedict) BMRto maintain is 2300. I measure everything that's goes in my mouth yet literally my scale has not budged by even .2 of a lb in over 2 weeks. My macros are 40 carb 35 protein 25 fat.

My water intake daily is one gallon. I feel like I am beating a dead horse.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Yes, calories in and calories out. Yet as I said I measure everything and it's literally impossible I am not creating a defecit. I finished a marathon in November and took off a month and ate 2000cals a day without gaining.

My body normally sheds weight rather quickly. 5 lbs a week is nothing new for me (not the healthiest per say).

Replies

• dizustyross
    dizustyross Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You seem like you got it down pat pretty so theres only about three i might be able to suggest here. 1) you can try intermittent fasting, its helped many people break through plateuas. 2) maybe try a diet break of eating 1-200 calories above maintenance for a while maybe a week if youve been very strict for quite a while, helps balance out hormones again ti normal levels. 3) going low carb is good for pushing through plateuas as well, they really suck for the first 1-2 weeks for most people but they work and really burn those last tricky pounds. Thats just what i would suggest anyway, cheers
  • bingfit221
    Options
    I refeed once every 14 days. Maybe I will try what you suggested about maintenance.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing first that your HMR isn't accurate. 850 calories yesterday seems like a lot, I'd have to run for 2 hours to get that number. What kind of HRM is it? Also, it's not accurate for strength training, so I wouldn't even log that.

Also you don't seem to be weighing your food, so you could be eating more than you think. And you seem to confuse BMR and TDEE, I'm assuming your TDEE is 2300, not your BMR.

Either way, not a huge cause for concern IMO, it can just take a while for your body to start shedding weight.
  • bingfit221
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes it is not accurate for strength training so no, that doesn't include my calculated HR calories from strength training. I did HIIT for 50 minutes of 1 minute at a 10.00 on treadmill (gets HR to 190) then recovery to 130bpm and again. 15x. HR is polar RC3.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    bingfit221 wrote: »
    Yes it is not accurate for strength training so no, that doesn't include my calculated HR calories from strength training. I did HIIT for 50 minutes of 1 minute at a 10.00 on treadmill (gets HR to 190) then recovery to 130bpm and again. 15x. HR is polar RC3.

Damn you're fit!

Back to OP..if you have recently changed up your exercise programme it will be water weight for muscle repair ..just wait it out

And however you are measuring body fat ..if it's a scale it's total bollocks, if it's calipers it's variable dependent on where you are pinching ...go by visible musculature if you're cutting
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You work out more than I do, and we are about the same weight, and I eat more than you do. I've actually never netted below 1800 calories, and I gross at least 1900 or more. You've also only been at this for 2 weeks? Assuming your entire routine is new, you're probably retaining water. But eating too little could easily affect your intensity at the gym and in daily life, meaning you could actually be burning less than you estimate due to not fueling yourself enough. Which would make your deficit smaller than you had originally set it at.

And BTW, you're doing HIIT wrong if you can keep it up for 50 minutes and follow it up with other exercise. HIIT should be no longer than 20 minutes or so, and it should leave you feeling absolutely spent. You're just doing interval training.

ETA as already noted, you aren't weighing your food. So it is very much possible you aren't creating a deficit when you average out your weekly intake. Protein powder at 32.7g? Maybe your scoop takes out 38g instead. Maybe your 16 asparagus spears were actually the equivalent of 24 spears when comparing how mcuh they would weigh. Etc.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Options
    How did you figure out your body fat %. I don't know very many females at 190 and 17% BF. If those numbers are true, that means between your most fit at 190 (155 lbs of lbm) and your current 164 (132lbs of lbm), that you have lost 26 lbs of lean body mass.

Also, how long have you been plateaued?
  • bingfit221
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I will again restate for the 8th time, I weight, count, and measure everything that goes into my mouth. @ana3067‌

This routine is not new. I just had to take time off after a marathon! I have been in fitness for 2 years.

3rd, HIIT is considered intervals levels in which your max hr is over 90% of my max. My max HR is 192. My intervals my HR is over 186 which would be well beyond 90%. I have been an athlete my whole life.

@psulemon‌ I am not 190 right now. I am 162. I am very muscular. I can leg press 500 and bench press my body weight. I am 162 19.5% via calipers. My most fit is now, not 190. That's where I started. Sorry typo. At 148 I was 16-17%.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I will again restate for the 8th time, I weight, count, and measure everything that goes into my mouth. @ana3067‌

This routine is not new. I just had to take time off after a marathon! I have been in fitness for 2 years.

3rd, HIIT is considered intervals levels in which your max hr is over 90% of my max. My max HR is 192. My intervals my HR is over 186 which would be well beyond 90%. I have been an athlete my whole life.

@psulemon‌ I am not 190 right now. I am 162. I am very muscular. I can leg press 500 and bench press my body weight. I am 162 19.5% via calipers. My most fit is now, not 190. That's where I started.

He's asking how you determined you were 17% body fat at 190 pounds. If you determined that through calipers, they are not very accurate.
  • BethSindelar
    Options
    Try eliminating a food per week to see if you have any changes. I cut out cow milk and substituted with goat milk. The scale went down. I cut sodium down. The scale went down. Same with cheeses. Goat and sheep only. I eliminated processed foods with preservatives. I bought a book called "The Plan" that helped me find trigger foods that were blocking my weight loss. Now that I know the foods that stop me from losing I'm doing much better.
  • psuLemon
    Options

@psulemon‌ I am not 190 right now. I am 162. I am very muscular. I can leg press 500 and bench press my body weight. I am 162 19.5% via calipers. My most fit is now, not 190. That's where I started.

He's asking how you determined you were 17% body fat at 190 pounds. If you determined that through calipers, they are not very accurate.

This..

Also, do you have any medical issues? Have you had a blood panel recently to check hormone levels?
  • bingfit221
    edited January 2015
    Options

Oh *kitten*. I had a typo in OP. Sorry. I am 19% now. At 148 I was 16-17%.

• psuLemon
    edited January 2015
    Options

Oh *kitten*. I had a typo in OP. Sorry. I am 19% now. Sorry.

It seems everyone is here to pick apart everything I state. I am looking for constructive criticism.

This is your quote
    (Now, I am 164 in the mornings and 166 at night. Completely normal yes. BUT I have been back at it for 2 weeks trying to get down to a leaner 155. (I am 5 foot 9 and at 190lbs my BF was 16-17%)

Not trying to criticize, trying to understand the math... I read the OP multiple times.. i would suggest you do too. I get you are 164 now.
  • bingfit221
    Options
    Yes @psulemon‌ I apologize major typo. Was 148 at 16-17% BF
  • psuLemon
    Options

OK.. would you like me to correct your OP or do you want to yell at me again, lol.. jk
  • bingfit221
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

OK.. would you like me to correct your OP or do you want to yell at me again, lol.. jk

Lol sorry. I am an idiot. Ugh.
  • psuLemon
    Options

No worries, I updated your original post. BTW, can you look at my last question I had about the bloodwork?
  • bingfit221
    Options

No worries, I updated your original post. BTW, can you look at my last question I had about the bloodwork?

Haven't had blood work done. $800 bucks argh. I guess it could have something to do with my leptin levels etc..

• psuLemon
    Options

Haven't had blood work done. $800 bucks argh. I guess it could have something to do with my leptin levels etc..

I understand. You could try to lower carbs and increase fats if that helps. But I do like the idea of eating at maintenance or slightly above to see if that helps. I am always a big fan of diet breaks a few times a year. I do it 2x a year myself..
  • bingfit221
    edited January 2015
    Options

I understand. You could try to lower carbs and increase fats if that helps. But I do like the idea of eating at maintenance or slightly above to see if that helps. I am always a big fan of diet breaks a few times a year. I do it 2x a year myself..

Guess it wouldn't hurt to try!!! Haha.

Thanks for correcting my OP :-)

What would you suggest for adjusting macros for carb and fat? Did you see my post how I am 40 carb 35 protein and 25 fat?