Loose skin

Options
Im trying to lose 100 lbs. The fear of loose skin isnt going to stop me, but i would like to know, how many of you guys have success stories where you have little or no loose skin, and how many have alot of it? Any tips to avoid loose skin are welcomed too.

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    54 pounds and tight as a drum. 45 M.

I have nothing to back this up, but intuitively I would thing that losing it slowly would leave less of a chance for loose skin. It just seems to make sense - it's just a hunch... but it's how I did it and have no skin issues after coming from a tight 36in waist to a solid 30in.

I lost mine *very* slowly - over 3 years without dieting. Just running like hell - training for marathons - increased the activity to just over the surplus I am used to eating and created a very slight deficit (about 2 pounds a month). Lose 2 or 3 a month when training, gain some back during the down months of no running ... 3 years later here we are down 54 pounds.

I recently (2 weeks ago) started an actual "diet" to expose the abs ... and it's working.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Lost 80 pounds and I have a lot. Lost most of it in a year.
  • Jagerin
    Jagerin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Lose slowly.
    Weight training.
    Lotions and creams designed specifically to increase the collagen and elastin in your skin.
    Healthy skin is hydrated skin. Get your 8 cups of water a day.

It's mostly down to genetics. There are some things that can 'help', but if it's going to happen, it's going to happen. I've not lost enough weight yet to have loose skin, but looking at family members who have lost a lot of weight, I can make a good guess that I'm going to have some. Even those in my family that lost slowly, did weight training, and did all the lotions still have some (though not quite as much as those who lost fast and have yet to ever walk a mile, let alone do any weight lifting).

There's all kinds of tips and tricks out there on the internet, but most of them are crap.