Eating Better But On Less Than 1,000 Calories?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Mishieru131
    Options
    I think it's important to remember that many foods in the database are member submitted and there can be significant discrepancies. When I started using the app I found that I was under/over reporting my calories by 200-300/day because of this. Now I will generally pick the food that has been verified the most if I don't already know exactly how many calories/nutrients are in it.

The fact that you have been consuming less than 1000 calories per day is worrisome. Even in a state of comatose your body is still using at least 500-800 calories per day for fundamental bodily functions. If your body continues to be deprived of the calories it needs for basic functioning then you risk having elevated levels of keytones circulating in your body, which can potentially damage your organs over time (a good summary of this can be found here: http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-starvation-ketosis.htm)

So, in general you should probably be trying to at least eat as many calories as your body needs in it's resting state. James Fell has a great tool for measuring this which you can get on his website http://www.bodyforwife.com/free-reports/ . Like so many people ahead of me have pointed out, you can add calories to your diet by adding small additions, which are still healthy (i.e. adding small amounts of nuts or low-fat cheese to salads).

If you already knew all of this then please disregard this comment. If not then I hope you find this info useful.
  • ReformedFatty2015
    Options
    I've managed to nearly double my calorie intake for today compared to yesterday. Only thing I changed was = eat more at each of my three meals, switched to whole milk for teas, ate some nuts as a snack. This brought me to 1400-odd calories, plus I've still got a tea or piece of fruit to add later.

So simple, thanks for all your advice and help.

Now if I have out weight back on come my next weigh in day, I'm blaming all you lot :)
  • ReformedFatty2015
    Options
    Woops, meant *if I PUT on weight* :)