Need advice please just stopped drinking

Options
2»

Replies

• phoenixbaby2014
    Options
    Hi guys thanx for the great advice yes I have trouble sleeping not so much now as I wake up an hour earlier to do insanity and I have also been accepting loads of overtime so that has been helping with the workout I tend to take it a little easy as I just started but I must admit yesterday I didn't and muscles I never knew I had are now hurting and I actually like it weirdly enough. I am hoping that with support I can continue this journey.

Thank you all
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Don't know the details of your drinking, of course, but often a good thing to do is get involved in healthy activities to use the time you were drinking, so I think starting an exercise program is a great idea, and for me exercising always makes it easier to eat healthy.

I found that I started wanting more sleep after I stopped (I had been getting not that much for ages and my body at first couldn't sleep sober and then I needed to sleep lots) so if you have something like that definitely let yourself rest, even if it means pushing yourself less hard, but doing a program like Insanity seems like a good idea.
    Trouble sleeping is a very common issue for people who quit. You may have already known that, but just in case. :)

Agree that a new hobby or even "addiction"-type thing is a bonus. Many of Bill W's friends took up something else in place of the booze. Some spend extra time at work or even get second jobs just so they won't focus on the drinking. Woodworking, sewing, exercise - whatever floats your boat.

Congratulations on quitting. Keep up the good work!

This is awful advice. Addictions are very complex and you would just be replacing one addiction with another which is not the goal and does not help the underlying cause of the addiction.
  • elphie754
    Options
    hi everyone hope everyone is doing well. I just wanted to ask should I start doing insanity yet someone told me I should wait and see what my body does without alcohol first. as most of my calories came from alcohol before I started my weight loss plan.

We're you just a casual drinker and the calories were adding up or were you constantly drinking all the time? Reason I am asking is because if you were constantly drinking, you should wait until you see what kind of withdrawal sysmptoms you experience. If you get tremors (or worse-seizures) it could make exercise a bit dangerous. If you were just a casual/party/binge at social events type drinker, I don't see why you couldn't start exercise now.
  • phoenixbaby2014
    Options
    I used to drink every couple of days maybe few ciders etc I don't get tremors I jus get some intense feeling to drink at times and I wasn't drinking to get drunk or anything like that it was just my way to relax until I realised am upsetting my health and my weight also I didn't want to be an alcoholic so felt I had to cut it before that even became a possibility
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I think it's just important to keep an eye on how you're feeling. Insanity is a BIG workout so if you start to feel sluggish or sick, take a break. Also make sure you are getting good solid nutrition and not under-eating. With all that said - go for it! Congrats on making a tough decision, too :)
  • elphie754
    Options
    I used to drink every couple of days maybe few ciders etc I don't get tremors I jus get some intense feeling to drink at times and I wasn't drinking to get drunk or anything like that it was just my way to relax until I realised am upsetting my health and my weight also I didn't want to be an alcoholic so felt I had to cut it before that even became a possibility

Then you can likely tolerate exercise now. I would start off really slow though.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

Pish - if you were drinking a couple of ciders every few days most of your calories were not coming from alcohol. Your profile says you have 48lbs to lose - I would have a careful look at your diet before you blame alcohol for your weight issues.

You need to make sure you are eating in a deficit in order to lose weight.

Also - go ahead exercise - but if you haven't done it before or in a while - take it slow and listen to your body.

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like there's any reason not to start Insanity but I don't think I'd expect it to be a new way to relax or treat yourself. Those workouts are hard. I would hate them. If you want to sub in a new relaxing habit, maybe add yoga or walks. Not that tough cardio doesn't have its own place but if you're giving up an old habit you enjoyed, replacing it with a new one you detest is probably not the best method for success. Be kind to yourself. Don't feel like exercise has to be 'insane' to be beneficial. :)

• phoenixbaby2014
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »

Pish - if you were drinking a couple of ciders every few days most of your calories were not coming from alcohol. Your profile says you have 48lbs to lose - I would have a careful look at your diet before you blame alcohol for your weight issues.

Also - go ahead exercise - but if you haven't done it before or in a while - take it slow and listen to your body.
    Hi thanx for advice I had put on weight as I had an under active thyroid which was removed and also I was drinking strong cider which I now know has 300 calories a can and i used to eat my dinner late and eat no breakfast so the consistency of when I ate is also a contributing factor. The weight just sort of crept on as I only needed to go one size up in clothing
  • phoenixbaby2014
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »

I only have to lose around 12lb to be within my normal range I would just like to have some of my previous muscle definition back so I purposely made it 48lb which would put right at the bottom of my healthy weight range.