350cals over 3lbs on. Grrrrr

Options
Breizier
Breizier Posts: 221 Member
I know weight loss isnt linear but please can someone explain how this works?
I try to eat back any exercise cals or if I go over 1 day I balance it the next. I know generally I am a little under my cal goal on a week to week basis.
But how on earth can I go over my goal 1 day and put on 3lbs? Somewhere the equivalent of 10, 500 cals have gone into me over night. Unless my hubby is force feeding me in my sleep I am darned if I know how that happened because I sure didnt get to enjoy those calories.
So please peeps all you guys who know about the laws of thermodynamics fitness an nutrition please please please give me an explanation for this unwelcome and demotivating phenomenon. :cry:

Replies

• kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Your diary isnt open to give you a real valid answer. But I would think its water retention...so from either eating something high in sodium, or hormones etc or just normal body fluctuations
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Water retention.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Your weight fluctuates daily due to retaining water.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    Be patient. Give it 4 days and it will disappear just as mysteriously.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    LOL...probably water weight! I went away on holiday last week and couldn't log as I had no internet access. I behaved as much as I could while still enjoying myself. I came home and got on the scale not knowing what to expect. 7 pounds....:noway: I knew there was NO WAY I had put that on. So back on to MFP and logging....it was all gone in a matter of 5 days. So just as I know there was no way of putting on 7 pounds of fat (with what I was eating) in a week....I also knew there was no way I had lost 7 pounds of fat in 5 days.
    Don't freak...the scales go up and the scales go down. As long as over time it heads more downwards than anything, you'll be fine!
  • LisaMarie8713
    Options
    I looked at your diary and it doesn't seem to be logging much sodium for the items on your list. There's no sodium listed for the potato salad. Salt is a huge reason people "mysteriously" gain weight over night. Drink extra water through the day and flush it out of your system. Make sure you don't let yourself get dehydrated because that's another way to ensure that you'll just retain water. Good luck!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Nothing but straight up water retention.... I had a refeed last night of chips and salsa, regular pizza and taco pizza, and finished the evening off with ice cream.... If I even thought about stepping on the scale I would more than likely be up anywhere from 5-10 lbs. do to the product of the excess sodium but my calories are figured on the week (which for me ends on Sunday evening and I will still be in a slight deficit by then so this Water weight will take a few days to clear my system and then everything will be back to normal...
  • Breizier
    Options
    Diary now opened. Thanks for looking at it.
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It's got be water weight. Depending on the time of the month, that could have an unwanted effect too. Don't worry about it too much, as someone said - give it a few days and I'm betting those lbs will have vanished...
  • Breizier
    Options
    Hmmmm interesting.

For the first time I have proactively put things in place to drink more water. Thursday an Friday I drank 1.5ltrs water each day and this is the first time I have experiences a leap like that withou the memory of pizza chocolate or alcohol to justify it. And given the extra time on the loo!!! Including during the night!
    So do I just keep drinking water or just go back to my 3 or 4 half cups of coffee a day??
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I am not a scientist, but my understanding is that if you keep drinking water, your body will flush it through better (ie, if you've just started drinking a lot, it'll hold it, but if you keep on drinking it'll let it go). 1.5 liters really isn't all that much so I'd stick with it.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Retaining water won't stop you from losing fat (which is what matters, right?)
  • lauraleighsm
    lauraleighsm Posts: 167
    Options
    I hate that and it does happen to me! I've even joked to my husband before how I can gain 3 pounds in a night. It's salt and it takes a few days to even out.
  • Erihppas
    Erihppas Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Stay the course...
  • butterflyqueen1984
    butterflyqueen1984 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't weigh myself every day, forget about the daily and weigh every 2 weeks. Keeps you motivated as you are sure to loose if you are sticking to it!
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Nothing but straight up water retention.... I had a refeed last night of chips and salsa, regular pizza and taco pizza, and finished the evening off with ice cream.... If I even thought about stepping on the scale I would more than likely be up anywhere from 5-10 lbs. do to the product of the excess sodium but my calories are figured on the week (which for me ends on Sunday evening and I will still be in a slight deficit by then so this Water weight will take a few days to clear my system and then everything will be back to normal...

Help me to understand what a "refeed" is...because it sounds close to a binge, and I know you are too disciplined to be a binge eater.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I lost 7 pounds in a day and I gained 9 in a day..its all fun! remember the body can only lose up to 2 lbs of FAT in about 6 weeks..its all ABOUT WATER WEIGHT!! This is the KEY:)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself. Maybe once a month. Next, measure and weigh all your food. Track your exercise with a HRM and be religious about it. The scale is going to be too fickle to really help at this point. Measure yourself every 2 - 3 weeks and take pictures of all angles every month. Drink lots of water and eat enough food to fuel your body correctly. Know your TDEE, BMR, & TDEG.

If you do those things, you will see progress. Getting on the scale can undo my whole day. Therefore, I only weigh once a month.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    A little visualization goes a long way. Here is my recent chart. The RED line is the only thing that really matters but it shows the normal daily fluctuations. Most of those peaks I can explain with a high sodium day or a hard workout but not all of them.

libra.jpg
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    A little visualization goes a long way. Here is my recent chart. The RED line is the only thing that really matters but it shows the normal daily fluctuations. Most of those peaks I can explain with a high sodium day or a hard workout but not all of them.

libra.jpg

That is an awesome visual. You should post that every time someone asks a question like this. Of course, you'd be very busy every day. :laugh: Thanks.