Is weight loss in winter harder to achieve?

Options
I don't know about you guys, but I've noticed that my body absolutely refuses to let go of my weight when it's cold. I live in London and it's ridiculously cold at the moment and this situation is really frustrating me.

Is it down to winter? if so, what can I do to make my body let go of this fat >:P

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's down to your emotions and how much easier it is to hunker down and eat stodgy foods than get out and do something and maintain your calorie defecit

And yes it's damn cold, and getting colder

• fattymcfatterson2121
    Options
    It is harder for me - I live in Scotland and it is absolutely freezing here. Cold weather = body craving hot stodgy food. I am extra freezing and miserable on a calorie deficit. I think this is why people in Scotland have an obesity problem. I love a salad in summer but during winter I want bad food like pizza and chips. I don't think there is an easy solution, I think our willpower just needs to be stronger during the cold winter months :(
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    It's really all about calorie deficit. Track your intake and weigh your food and log accurately and you'll lose weight.

It is cold, not just in London, I'm all bundled up at the moment and still freezing.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I live in the NE UK betcha it's colder here currently lol. Agree with the above poster! I find my motivation wanes with the bad weather.
  • RebeccaChemmy
    RebeccaChemmy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm in Wales and have found myself doing much better than before. Maybe I'm just different... :p
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's feckin' freezing ..I've had my bacon and egg toastie and I'm heading to the gym in 10 mins

And your excuse is what?
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    It's feckin' freezing ..I've had my bacon and egg toastie and I'm heading to the gym in 10 mins

And your excuse is what?

Whoah....dude....why are you getting so aggressive for? did I in anyway say that I haven't been eating right or excersising? that's why I have posted this thread in the first place, I'm doing everything right but the weight is comming off much slower than it normally does. All I am asking, is if weather is a factor in weight loss, Jesus Christ.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I doubt in the UK we really experience extremes of temperature enough on a regular basis to affect the biological function of our bodies.
    Do I want to stay inside and eat pie and mash and drink hot chocolate in the winter? Yes. But I also hate exercising in the summer when it's 28-29 degrees because it's too hot for my liking. Sometimes you have to either a) be firm with yourself, and stick to the plan regardless of what is more comfortable or b) think of a reward/way to motivate yourself there. I have to do a combination i.e. I tell myself 'get your flabby butt to the gym' and then when I'm done I slob out with a coffee and Netflix, because that's a little thing I enjoy of an evening after work.

Plus, exercising keeps you warm, so there's zero excuse not to work out in the cold, unless you're ill/severely asthmatic/likely to slip and die on black ice.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

And your excuse is what?

It's too cold and blustery. It's wet outside. My toenail hurts. I'm tired.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Yasmine91 wrote: »

And your excuse is what?

Whoah....dude....why are you getting so aggressive for? did I in anyway say that I haven't been eating right or excersising? that's why I have posted this thread in the first place, I'm doing everything right but the weight isn't coming off. All I am asking, is if weather is a factor in weight loss, Jesus Christ.

She's not being aggressive, she was being a S.A., so relax.
    If you're not losing, then you need to open your diary if you want people to help you. It doesn't matter what season it is, if you eat too much, you're not going to lose.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

And your excuse is what?

It's too cold and blustery. It's wet outside. My toenail hurts. I'm tired.

I have a migraine, there's black ice, my pinkie is aching.

• Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options

And your excuse is what?

Whoah....dude....why are you getting so aggressive for? did I in anyway say that I haven't been eating right or excersising? that's why I have posted this thread in the first place, I'm doing everything right but the weight isn't coming off. All I am asking, is if weather is a factor in weight loss, Jesus Christ.

If you're not losing, then you need to open your diary if you want people to help you. It doesn't matter what season it is, if you eat too much, you're not going to lose.

What is an S.A? And that's the thing, I've been monitoring everything, weighing etc, this isn't the first time this has happened, summer time weight comes off so much easier but in the winter this always happens but I've never been able to understand why. Hence why I asked this question ¬¬...
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Its harder for me this winter but its not because the cold is affecting my body. Its because I am not moving as much as I was when the weather was warmer. I know that. I love walking and just being outside doing stuff, but not when its icy and below zero (F)!

55835802.png
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Not for me, but I do all my exercising at home so weather doesn't affect it. I don't have SAD, so no affect from there either. All winter does is make me sleep an hour longer because it's dark out for a longer time.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

And your excuse is what?

What is an S.A? And that's the thing, I've been monitoring everything, weighing etc, this isn't the first time this has happened, summer time weight comes off so much easier but in the winter this always happens but I've never been able to understand why. Hence why I asked this question ¬¬...

Again, can you open your diary?
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    from my perspective I'm in summer at moment at I'm get 40c (107f) days, and I'm finding hard to get out and walk ... I'm looking forward to cooler weather where I can layer up and just get out and do stuff. I have to go out very early or wait for the cool of the afternoon which dose no happen :\
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I hate cold but id rather go out and walk/jog when its 30 (f) than 90 (f)! even when its colder, i only wear a small fleece jacket and a scarf. once i get going, ill warm up and dont want massive heavy layers!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Weather doesn't matter when it comes to weight loss. It just comes down to commitment. How bad do you want it!!!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think the body can refuse to let go of fat, but feeling uncomfortable can make it more difficult for us to withstand urges to eat more and move less.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    What usually happens is that people tend to stay inside more during the winter, so they aren't as active and they have food more readily available. That combination makes it harder to lose weight in the winter time. However, if people would get outside as much in the winter and would exercise at the same intensity as they do during the summer, they would lose weight more easily in the winter because they would burn more calories. But that's a lot of ifs.