New! Low thyroid weight loss tips!

Options
Ive had hypothyroidism for about 10 years.
At first I controled my thyroid eating a vegetarian strict diet, after my daughter all that went out the window gained about 50 pounds and years later still stuggling any body else know what we can or cant eat of if ill just simply have to go back to no meat. Im going for a muscular vibe before I was lightly muscular. Trying to go hardcore!

Replies

• nancyhfuller
    nancyhfuller Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I feel you r Hypothyroidism pain. I have used it for a weight gain crutch but I too am going hardcore!! GOODLUCK!
  • EnglishIvy77
    EnglishIvy77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 61 years old and was diagnosed with a slow thyroid around 1997. I was put on meds then. Prior to this I never ever had a weight problem. However, I found weight coming on and hard to get off.And it got harder to loose the older I got. I carry at least 20-30 pounds over the weight I should be and it is mostly in my stomach and breast area. It is so very discouraging to not be able to shed weight when eating the amount of calories that myfitnesspal suggested a day for me which is 1200. I should be loosing 2 pounds a week on 1200 calories, but it's not happening. I have been faithful to this for about 6-9 months. I have actually gained weight during this time. I log everything I eat which does help me to stay in my range. I need to exercise more than I do and that is a goal I am now working on. I do not use the low thyroid for a crutch at all. I want to live a long healthy life. Does this site have any place to find foods we should eat and ones we should stay away from, recipes for this problem or help of any kind? Normal people with no medical problems seem to have all the help, but there needs to be help for this type of thing too.
  • aahgoble2013
    Options
    I have the same problem I take 300mcgs of levothyroxine they say my thyroid is almost dead. But when I started my meds Iwent from a size 20 down to a size 11. But I got pregnant and had a kid and now I'm busting my butt to shed the pounds and inches. I have cut out all pasta, all bread, and all potatoes, no junk food, no fast food, I do not eat sugars, I simply drink water and unsweet tea. The best thing that has worked for me that I heard on Dr.Oz is warm water with a lemon in it for breakfast everyday. It jump starts your metabolism and speeds it up. The trick is eating small snacks daily. Just use measuring cups for everything you eat and eat the serving size. DO NOT DRINK JUICE. This has helped me a lot. Make sure that while you are counting calories you are also eating nutricious foods. Vitamins daily also help boost your body and your diet. Glad to find this post. I didn't know anyone else had thyroid problems.
  • dwanachapman
    dwanachapman Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am starting all this with no thyroid. I was hyper for years, and they removed a portion of my gland, then I went hypo. Then years later I went back hyper, and they gave me the radio active Iodine to get rid of it all together. I'm on meds that keep me on the low end of normal, which seems fine with my doctor, not so groovy with me though. Since 1991 I've slowly packed on about 80 lbs. Very sneak, and slow. Now I'm 49 with other issues. But I'm sick, and over it. I can stay this way, or I can go out swinging. lol I'm going to actually start the real deal on Thursday, I have someone helping, and she wants to get a baseline of my regular eating habits...and from what I can see, it's kind of scary. Lol Add me if you don't mind, and we can exchange helpful info, and motivate to our goals. Mine..to be healthy, and feel better. If I happen to look better that will be a bonus. Good luck.