Processed Food

Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I typically refer to heavily refined (processed) convenience foods. Usually it's when I'm discussing foods that have had many of their nutrients removed, and/or/but usually and have had significant sugar or salt added to them.

I agree it's not useful to conflate washing with bleaching, stripping, "enriching", but I also think it's not useful when folks DO understand what a poster is saying/asking and choose not pretend they don't.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    avskk wrote: »
    This is why I say "packaged" or "pre-made" or whatever I actually mean when discussing food I didn't prepare myself. "Processed" is meaningless -- washing fruit is a process. So is steaming broccoli or butchering a cow. A leafy green chopped salad from the deli is a processed food, as is a Hot Pocket. It's not useful to conflate these things.

Pre-made kind of lends itself to the same misinterpretation though… I can go and get a salad from my supermarket's salad bar and it will be pre-made. Or I could go and get some instant noodles.

Right, which is why I don't say "pre-made" as a catch-all term. I would, however, say I bought a pre-made salad at the deli. If I were getting instant noodles I'd say "packaged ramen."

Again, it's not useful to conflate these things. Nobody should be using one word to describe forty different kinds of food.

Alright, I misunderstood you then. That makes sense. :smile:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Pasta sauce and salad dressings are also convenient, just as convenient as
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I personally draw the line at prepackaged, premade items. Soups, pasta sauces, pasta, bread, so on. I don't cut those things out of my diet, however - I do cut things like Tyson precooked chicken, Spam, Dinty Moore stew, corned beef hash, hot dogs .. for me, it's personal. Things like soups, pasta and sauces don't weigh me down. When I eat the items I previously mentioned I cut out, I feel heavy, sick and not so well. It's mostly the added sodium that makes me feel that way, I think, so I'd rather make things from scratch and add my own salt or buy something with lower sodium.

A better (and less confusing) term for at least some of these things is probably "convenience foods." (I'm copying someone else around here in pushing for that change. Forget who at the moment, so sorry!)

Also, as you yourself make distinctions between foods you put in the same category it would be ideal to try and come up with a term that pinpoints what it is that the specific person is avoiding. For example, I buy lunch sometimes and there's a wide variety of lunches available for purchase from local restaurants--it would be silly for me to group them all in one category. Even with convenience foods, which can vary from Hungry Man to Lean Cuisine (which I don't like, but present different issues) to the ones I can buy from the local paleo provider and whatever you think of that diet and the silliness of paleo catering they are pretty high quality seeming). To group them all as identical, let alone all "processed" or "packaged" foods as identical is wrong.

I disagree about calling them convenience food and won't; a lot of food is convenience food. Pasta sauce and salad dressings are things I could easily make but choose not to, therefore are convenience food, and I do not group them into the same prepackaged, premade category as I do Dinty Moore stew and Ball Park hot dogs.

That's my point, though. Convenience foods is a better term for pre-made meals, at least. "Processed" makes no sense. A lot of things far better than store bought salad dressing and pasta sauce (which I somewhat disapprove of personally, if we are going to get all judgy) fall into the "processed" category, and yet people who proclaim the evils of "processed" foods are never remotely consistent.

I'm all for people preferring to eat in a particular way vs other ways, but I wish they'd use words that make sense and not group dissimilar products together. I don't know what words would work for your distinction, since I'm not you and don't know what it consists of, but there's got to be something out there that would be clearer.
    I also don't view processed as a negative term - I guess it just depends on the item for me.

Fair enough, no argument then. I find some processed foods quite helpful for me, like yogurt and smoked salmon and the above-mentioned bagged spinach, and I imagine others are quite fond of highly processed meats like boneless, skinless chicken breast (I get my meat from a local farm, and yet it's still, of course, processed).
    I do agree that not all processed/convenience food are identical, however, and think that grouping them is a mistake and incorrect. I would not call the foods I don't allow into my diet convenience foods; I would call them high-sodium mistakes. ;) Hahaha.

Again, fair enough.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I personally draw the line at prepackaged, premade items. Soups, pasta sauces, pasta, bread, so on. I don't cut those things out of my diet, however - I do cut things like Tyson precooked chicken, Spam, Dinty Moore stew, corned beef hash, hot dogs .. for me, it's personal. Things like soups, pasta and sauces don't weigh me down. When I eat the items I previously mentioned I cut out, I feel heavy, sick and not so well. It's mostly the added sodium that makes me feel that way, I think, so I'd rather make things from scratch and add my own salt or buy something with lower sodium.
    Lol, now requesting to be a friend.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Very subjective. Everyone will have their own ideas of what constitutes "processed".
    Yep. I don't consider frozen vegetables as processed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hahaha .. Spam is still in my pantry for emergencies. ;)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think it's generally used to mean non-fresh food items that come in boxes, cans and bags. That's how I've always interpreted it and have never seen it used in a context where that definition wouldn't fit.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What about "refined" foods? Would that work?
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I find it mostly meaningless when I stop to think about it, but when people say they are avoiding processed, or more commonly, heavily processed foods, I take it to mean they are avoiding foods that are commonly perceived as containing lots of sodium/preservatives and that seem more manipulated for convenience/taste. Like TV dinners, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, hot dogs, snack cakes, Chef Boyardee, Cheeto's, Ramen, Mac n Cheese. Basically, cheap easy food where the expiration date is so far off it can be stockpiled with lots of sodium and calories.
  • MegBMin
    MegBMin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    jamiehero wrote: »
    yes so I don't really understand when people say processed food are bad. How else do you get your food? Do you grow your own veggies and your own chicken and cow?

Not an impossibility! But everyone isn't lucky enough to live on a farm. While, I guess my diet can be considered generally "unprocessed" I still eat things like pudding and jello cups and diet soda because I find them delicious. I also use frozen vegetables in the months when I don't have food from my garden. I also try to avoid high fructose corn syrup, just on farm principle, but it's kind of double sided since I have no problem ingesting artificial sweeteners. You'll lose your mind trying to keep up. Eat what makes you feel good in the long term.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Highly refined? Does that really apply outside of grains? I've never really thought about it, but am not knee-jerk opposed.

I kind of think that what people are really opposed to has little to do with the processing (or whatever) and more to do with either (1) high calorie, low nutrient foods (which is why I mention smoked salmon and yogurt, in addition to the fact that they really are a huge percentage of the pre-packaged stuff I eat), and (2) various additives and preservatives that should probably be discussed specifically. I choose not to eat HFCS, for example, or added transfats, and avoid high sodium packaged products (or would if I was interested in eating any of them--my main objection is taste, and even here I'm a hypocrite since I eat pickles and such). I have no objection to anyone choosing to avoid any particular ingredient (even baking soda, if that's your deal), but clearly what even convenience meals involve varies greatly, as I tried to point out above.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Highly refined? Does that really apply outside of grains? I've never really thought about it, but am not knee-jerk opposed.

Well, it applies to sugar for sure, and people who are against all processed foods generally exclude sugar from their diet.

Foods that are made to last forever have to be refined somehow… removing some nutrients, adding others… it's a refining process, in a way. Or am I getting mixed up with vocabulary?

I think one thing it would probably not apply to in the average mind are sausages and hot dogs. Maybe.
    I kind of think that what people are really opposed to has little to do with the processing (or whatever) and more to do with either (1) high calorie, low nutrient foods (which is why I mention smoked salmon and yogurt, in addition to the fact that they really are a huge percentage of the pre-packaged stuff I eat), and (2) various additives and preservatives that should probably be discussed specifically. I choose not to eat HFCS, for example, or added transfats, and avoid high sodium packaged products (or would if I was interested in eating any of them--my main objection is taste, and even here I'm a hypocrite since I eat pickles and such). I have no objection to anyone choosing to avoid any particular ingredient (even baking soda, if that's your deal), but clearly what even convenience meals involve varies greatly, as I tried to point out above.

I agree with that.