Tall Women & Clothes

Options
Hi all! I'm 5'10" and have lost nearly 50 pounds so far. However, I am struggling to drop dress shirt sizes because smaller shirts are too short, particularly at the midriff and sleeves, as well as too narrow at the shoulders.

I typically shop at Talbots and Coldwater Creek, but don't think this will keep working as I am swimming in the sizes that I have to choose for length.

Does anyone else experience these issues? How have you been able to resolve them?

Replies

• saraghali
    saraghali Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am 5'11 and 216lbs. I like to shop online at old navy. Some of their styles look creepy whoever I still find something that I really like without breaking the budget. Also they have free shipping over $50 and free return. If you don't like it just take it to one of their stores!
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,612 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and I shop online at L.L. Bean. They have a lot of tall sizes. Their quality is good and the style is sort of young, active, outdoor stuff. The shipping and returns are free. I prefer pants and tops with some stretch in them as they fit better and are more comfortable. I just bought 3 pairs of jeans from them in size large, tall. They fit like a dream and feel like I'm wearing pjs. They call them "comfort jeans. Hope this helps.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 (36" inseam, long monkey arms...LOL) and since losing the weight (I was 193 at one point, XL or 16) I have resorted to TALL clothes only. I'm in Mediums/Larges right now (160), but when I was smaller (143), I had to wear Smalls or I looked odd. Regular ones aren't worth my money. They fit in the store then I get them home, I wash them, hang them up, put it on and the sleeves/pant legs/shirt body are too short. Grr...

Now, where do I get most of my clothes now. Old Navy Online, American Eagle for Jeans - their XLong's are GREAT. New York and Company for dress pants, tall length. Dress Sweaters I typically have to hope for the best or get one size up. Usually ok with regular clothes if it's a t-shirt or a tank top, most are made a bit longer now.

If you are willing to spend the money, LOFT and Limited have some nice stuff in Talls, but they are beyond where my wallet is willing to go.
  • faberallison
    faberallison Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would buy for length and take the clothes to a tailor.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Didn't Coldwater Creek go out of business about 6 months ago?

I am 5' 10" and I wear tall sizes on top and petites on the bottom. I love Old Navy-Gap-Banana Republic-Piperlime-Athleta for online shopping. A lot of what they carry is available in both tall and petite and their online ordering process works really well.
  • agape1980
    Options
    I am 6'1 and have found alloy.com has talls. The pants come in 30, 33, 35 and 37 inch in seams and the have tall shirts too. Catch them on sale and you can get great deals. I tend to have to weed through the teeny bopper clothes to find something 30-something appropriate, but it's there.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Wow! Same problem. 5'11", I wear tall Investments pants from Dillards. I have been fluctuating from a 16 to a 14.

Some NYDJ are long enough, and the plus size is different from regular size 14/16. I have to order everything online. Some Jag jeans work..

My problem is bras. I am a 40 B, manufacturers seem to think a 40 equals to gigantic boobs. There are no 40 B, and a 40 C is like a hot tub. And bras should be made in Tall. I tired on a bra today that would have had my girls under my chin.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses! I'll definitely check those places out!

Also AzulViolet, it's true that Coldwater Creek closed in late 2014, but they are supposed to be making a comeback this year. I can't remember exactly, but it had something to do with the bankruptsy, that they had to clear all the merchandise out before they can start up again.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Nordstrom's and Macy's have good tall pants as well :)
  • MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm in for the recommendations. I usually get my jeans from Vanity because they have a variety of fits and long inseams (I can't do below 35") for a pretty good price. They usually have them in store because I have a much smaller waist than most pants manufacturers think I should have base upon my butt and thigh size ( I work hard for those!). Buying online has always led me to disaster. Shirts, I always buy long, flow-y ones for work (not hard to find) and tank tops at home.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Heh, I have the opposite problem. At 5'1", everything is always too long and the wrong proportion for me. I sometimes have to keep reminding myself that I may lose the weight but I'll never gain the height, and that clothes shopping will *always* be a struggle for me and I'll never, ever look like a runway model no matter how fit I get.

I wish clothing manufacturers understood that height and weight don't necessarily correlate.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

I am 5' 10" and I wear tall sizes on top and petites on the bottom. I love Old Navy-Gap-Banana Republic-Piperlime-Athleta for online shopping. A lot of what they carry is available in both tall and petite and their online ordering process works really well.

Ditto to the above. I'm 5'9.5" with long legs and arms. Gap and Banana Republic are my go to for dress pants, and Old Navy or Gap for Jeans.

I've also started air drying most of my clothes in an effort to stop shrinkage.
  • francesmarieg
    francesmarieg Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9.5 and purchase all of my jeans at Maurices or Alloy because they come in 35" - 37" inseams! As far as shirts go... I also purchase at Maurices. But I have the same problem! It's hard to find trendy tops/blouses that are long enough. And DRESSES, forget about it! I either look like street walker or stripper when I try to wear a dress! They're always too short... and long maxi dresses are always above my ankles!
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have good luck with long pants and jeans at Eddie Bauer online.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9.5 and purchase all of my jeans at Maurices or Alloy because they come in 35" - 37" inseams! As far as shirts go... I also purchase at Maurices. But I have the same problem! It's hard to find trendy tops/blouses that are long enough. And DRESSES, forget about it! I either look like street walker or stripper when I try to wear a dress! They're always too short... and long maxi dresses are always above my ankles!

I am not super tall, but at 5'8" I have that trouble with long skirts and maxi dresses...actually for me they are usually way above the ankle or literally dragging along on the ground. Never the right length, haha.

Land's End and L.L. Bean are both good for tall sizing though - some of the only places that tall has been too long for me as an average-tall lady, so would probably be perfect for a lot of ladies here who are truly tall - and Land's End does long torso swimwear which is awesome.