Loosing weight

Options
what is the best % ratio for carbs, protien and fats to loose weight long term?

Replies

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    As far as 'loosing weight' is concerned then eating below your daily TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure) will create a loss. Generally speaking, to loose 1lb of bodyfat you need to be in a defecit of 3500 Calories, so to loose 2lb of bodyfat that would be 7000 calories.
    Spread out over the course of a week usually calculates between 500 calories to 1000 calories per day in defecit. This is all calculated into the MFP allowance that you are given when you state your weight loss goals.

Although it can be tempting to opt for the 2lb a week option, sometimes the 1lb per week is more sustainable over longer periods (if your TDEE is fairly low and you select 2lb/week loss, you will likely get around 1200 calories per day allowance. For some people, this isn't quite enough and end up with people quitting due to feeling more hunger).

As for what you should be consuming to 'tone' and make the most fo the foods and drinks you are consuming, different hings work for different people. Fibre will help keep you feeling full for longer and protein is essential for muscle growth, as are carbs.

Wishing you complete success with your goals.

All the best.

Adam
  • Jasmine775
    Options
    Thanks Adam.
    It's not the amount of calories that I'm confused about its what % of carbs, fat and protein I should be consuming to get the best results or does it not make a difference?
    I am consuming 1200 calories a day which I have no problem with and I do not have hunger pangs on this amount. I'm currently trying 20% carbs, 35% fat and 45% protein but not sure if this is the correct ratio for the best result or does it not really matter?
  • Train4Foodz
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Jasmine775 wrote: »
    Thanks Adam.
    It's not the amount of calories that I'm confused about its what % of carbs, fat and protein I should be consuming to get the best results or does it not make a difference?
    I am consuming 1200 calories a day which I have no problem with and I do not have hunger pangs on this amount. I'm currently trying 20% carbs, 35% fat and 45% protein but not sure if this is the correct ratio for the best result or does it not really matter?

The percentages for best results in terms of 'bodyfat loss' doesn't really make much difference in my opinion. Now, if you are looking for more precise macros then it really would depend on your overall goal.

If you are including a large amount of training into your daily routine then I would be tempted to give yourself a nice percentage of protein (maybe 30%) to retain muscle as much as possible. If you are doing strength training at the same time as loosing bodyfat then I would recommend not shooting too low on carbs (your body needs carbs to build muscle mass. Even though you will never 'build muscle' as such on a defecit you can give yourself the best possible chances of building stamina and overall stength) maybe hit the 30-40% mark on carbs if this applies to you(it's important to realise that carbs aren't the devil, they are in-fact an essential nutrient).
    Finally but definately not least important, be sure to include fats into your diet. The kind of fats I would reccomend keeping lower proportioins are saturates but even those are fine in moderation. Monounsaturated fats are great for you, such things as peanut butter contains lots oif healthy fats (unfortunately it is fairly high in colories thought, so.. as with anything, moderation is key!), maybe aim towards the 30% mark with fats to be sure to get the most from any training routine.

There is no definate answer and there are many different opinions on macro percentages. It's really just as case of finding what works best for you.

Wishing you the best,
    Adam
  • Jasmine775
    Options
    Thanks Adam
    That actually makes sense to me, finally.... Lol
    Really useful info, gratefull for the response..
    Thanks
  • Train4Foodz
    Options
    Jasmine775 wrote: »
    Thanks Adam
    That actually makes sense to me, finally.... Lol
    Really useful info, gratefull for the response..
    Thanks

No problem! Glad to be able to help shine a little light on macros for you.

Wishing you all the best with your goals,
    Adam