Are there any decent whole wheat or high fiber pastas?

Options
For heart health reasons, my wife is on the DASH diet, so yesterday I decided to try a high fiber, high protein pasta. It was awful. The taste and texture bore no resemblance to good pasta. Any recommendations for good whole wheat or similar pasta?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like Barilla and Ronzoni.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    It depends on what pasta dish I'm making. I find whole wheat pastas to be of a stiffer texture that comes across as gummy in thinner pasta shapes and lighter sauces. However, this same property can be an asset with a baked dish loaded with a chunkier sauce and cheese. Personally, I use regular white pastas for spaghetti-type preps and a whole wheat version for my baked rotini or cheesy shells.

Unfortunately for the DASH diet, that doesn't help, as (I think) the sauces that work for whole grain pasta are not DASH friendly.
  • bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ronzoni!
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I can't stand whole grain pasta. >.> It's just not pasta.
  • brenni76
    brenni76 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Quinoa pasta is delicious but a little pricey.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
  • Francl27
    Options

It's funny because now I find regular pasta really bland in comparison!
  • LisaH1967
    LisaH1967 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I use Barilla plus
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Creamette makes a 150 calorie penne with 13 grams of fiber that is fairly good.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Lol. I can actually see how that would happen. I had similar experiences with bread.

Tbh, it depends on the brand really. Some pseudo-Pasta sorts out there have absolutely no taste, most good ones are not exported from Italy though, unfortunately.
  • Francl27
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Lol. I can actually see how that would happen. I had similar experiences with bread.

Tbh, it depends on the brand really. Some pseudo-Pasta sorts out there have absolutely no taste, most good ones are not exported from Italy though, unfortunately.

I believe you. Pasta is one of those things I never want to buy the generic of. It's just tasteless. But even Barilla is bland to me now, and I used to like it. Hmm now I want to find some really good pasta though!
  • bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Brown rice pasta is good. And using squash or zucchini.