30 Day Shred Calories Burned

Options
I just got a heart rate monitor yesterday and did the 30 Day Shred with it today. I've been doing it for a while on Level 2 (I tried Level 3 once and actually thought I was going to die), but I was still surprised today that I only burned 123 calories. Does anyone else burn around that much? I'm glad i have the HRM now, because I'd been logging that I was burning twice as much!

Replies

• Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about it all too ... certainly the estimated calories burned are not dead on accurate for EVERYBODY. I don't have a HRM or Body Bugg or anything so I go by what the system here says ... hopefully it's close enough. 123 sure sounds low for the Shred, though. :indifferent:
  • ndnlou
    ndnlou Posts: 29
    Options
    I completed the 30 day shred and I was logging 200 to 300 cal burned each day. The workout is high energy. I have a cheap HRM $16 one from Twiian or somewhere and it showed that I burned 367 cal with the workout. Good luck.
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It seems to vary quite massivley from person to person. It depends on so many factors - your age, your fitness, the intensity you work out at...

I also use my HRM and am always at the high end of the calorie-burning. I usually do a warm up first for 10 mins (jog round the block or skip in the garden) but in the 37/38 minutes of the warm-up and DVD I will usually burn around 425 calories.

The one time I did the DVD without the warm up, I still burnt almost 300 I think. Although I am on medication to raise my heart rate as have such a low blood pressure...so probably not the best person to measure against!! (Sorry!) I never eat back all my exercise calories anyway as I'm so sure it's only because of the med's I burn so many.

I wouldn't worry though. Like you say...you felt like you were going to die...that can only be a good thing exercise-wise!!! :happy: And any calories burnt are good!!
  • elysetoplin
    elysetoplin Posts: 253
    Options
    also, i'm 20 years old and weigh 151-ish, and I'm in okay shape not ripped or anything. my HRM is the garmin forerunner 305 if that helps. but I was doing level 2 which I've been doing for a while. I thought I got a pretty good sweat for 20 minutes but maybe I'm just getting in better shape and need to step it up...I remember when I first started level 2 I could barely lift my arms when I showered afterwards and now my recovery is a lot faster. I still feel like 123 seems really low, though.
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and weigh about 119 ... I log it as circuit training and it says that I burn around 144... Seems about right, but then again I am not sure I need a HRM as well
  • slcbrus
    slcbrus Posts: 79
    Options
    Normally I burn around 220 calories, something like that. But it depends on you size, your weight, your age and your heart rate. You don't need to worry too much about how much you burn compared to others, considering that you are young and already fit, I'd say the number your HRM gives you is about right. I hope this helps!
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    I log it as high impact aerobics and it comes out to 243 for me.
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    I'm 21 and weigh about 119 ... I log it as circuit training and it says that I burn around 144... Seems about right, but then again I am not sure I need a HRM as well
    im 21 and i weigh 119 tooo! lol

i started the shred today.... i liked it a lot! sweat was dripping down my neck =]
    i logged it in as circuit training general and it said 198 cals..... idk
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Maybe do level one, but hold weights for the cardio like you do in level 3... and see what that logs, since you've mostly been doing level 2. Sometimes when I've done level 2 for 10 days or so, I find i'm not sweating the same way, yet when i go do a few other JM videos and come back to it, i'm dying. Like tricking my body to lose more calories by switching it up. Have you tried the JM (JIlian Micheals) other videos "Banish Fat Boost Metabolism" and "No more trouble zones"... there is a 30 day Slim Down routine that kicks my *kitten* (haven't finished yet) that i found on spark people and man it sure keeps changing up enough to really benefit me.
    If you want the slim down link LMK, I know i hijacked your thread;

As for the calories burnt, I log just around 200 i think but am looking to get an HRM soon.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    well, my fiance and I bought it the other day and I tried it for the first time yesterday level one with weights, I only estimated 100 calories burned....I probably burned more, but with the rest of the exercises I did I thought the overall numbers were too high
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I got a HRM recently and I've used it for most of Level 2. I'm consistently burning 300-330 calories for 30 minute (including about 2-3 minutes after it's over for my heart rate to go back down to a more normal level). I tend to hvae a pretty high average heart rate during it, usually in the 160's, so I burn quite a few calories. I haven't done it with Level 1 and Level 3, but I suspect I'd burn around that much for either of them.
  • onyxlibra7
    onyxlibra7 Posts: 93
    Options
    Okay I'm late guys...but I want in!!! lol What EXACTLY is the goal here...to do it consecutively for 30 days?? With one rest in btwn? How does this work?
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    I have a HRM and on level 1 I'm averaging around 150 cal burn; I"m 184 lbs. I did level 2 this morning and did think I was going to die but didn't wear my HRM. I'll wear it next time and see what happens.
  • RooMcDermott
    RooMcDermott Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am 140 lbs and 37 and have been averaging 200 calories so far on the Level 1 workouts. I have a Polar F6 HRM that I use.
  • bekylouisex3
    bekylouisex3 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've just done Level 1 and my HRM says I burnt 141 calories :huh: I'm 151 lbs..
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    are your statistics right? with my hrm I burn high 200's and into the 320's. its a polar, with a chest strap.