alcohol cosumption

carolinamccabe31
carolinamccabe31 Posts: 8
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Would like to know how any of you incorperate alcohol into your diet ? If going on as might be going out tonight and bit worried bout the calories do I go out and over week eat a little less to balance out the calories in the alcohol .

Replies

• h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Simple. If it doesn't support your goal, you don't do it, at least until you reach your goal. Once you have reached your goal, you probably know better, anyway.
    Other than that, log and move on. Alcohol isn't nutrition, anyway. You should never 'incorporate' it in any diet, IMO...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Prelog your day and make it fit.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    I try to have some wine or cider daily, but binge drinking to get drunk can soooooo blow the goal that I stay away... for now...
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    I took alcohol totally out of my diet until I lost the first 20 pounds. I occasionally have a drink or glass of wine now and fit it into my calorie goal for the day.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    alcohol is bad and causes acid reflux for me. nothing good about it nutritionally. i don't even believe that one glass a day is beneficial nonesense, but gotta live life, so log it and stuff, but try not to overdo it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    If I have calories and carbs left at the end of the day, I might have a glass of wine or cider. If I plan to go out or to someone's for dinner, I pre-log my day and plan it so I can have a drink. If I can't fit it in, I don't have it. I am just as happy having a seltzer or diet soda when out with friends.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    I don't worry about it. I drink 1 day weekly----as many lite beers as I want.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Drinking in moderation is fine.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Log the calories as you would for food, work it into your daily/weekly goals.
  • chelsmccann
    chelsmccann Posts: 37 Member
    Compensate for it in your day's meal plan, and then keep to the limit you set for yourself. If I go out, I've already accounted for my gin and water with a wedge of lime.

Although going out dancing with the girls while sober can still be fun.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    If I have calories and carbs left at the end of the day, I might have a glass of wine or cider. If I plan to go out or to someone's for dinner, I pre-log my day and plan it so I can have a drink. If I can't fit it in, I don't have it. I am just as happy having a seltzer or diet soda when out with friends.

^^This. I did cut way back and switched from higher calorie drinks. They're just empty calories with no useful nutrition attached to them so I'm not going to waste them when I could be eating something instead.
  • Acorrineh
    Acorrineh Posts: 17 Member
    If you can get it into your alloted intake every so often, then fine. If you are missing out on food by squeezing in alcohol, there may be an issue there...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I work alcohol into my diet. I have no doubt I'd be at goal by now if I'd stopped drinking. But since I have no intention of giving up my beer and wine I don't see the point of making myself miserable for a short period just so I can gain it all back when I start drinking again.

If I have to be overweight to drink, then I'll just be overweight.
  • xxlilkaycexx
    xxlilkaycexx Posts: 14 Member
    I tried cutting alcohol at first but it just didn't work. So I set only ONE day a week to have alcohol. Wine is my drink of choice anyway, so it wasn't TOO high in calories. I just made up for it by working out longer or eating a little better that day. I still managed to lose 20 pounds this way.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I have wine many evenings. I drank wine many evenings while I was losing. I don't see the need to remove that "snack". I enjoy it. It's part of my overall healthy diet and lifestyle.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

Pretty much exactly what I do.
  • I've pretty much cut it out because it doesn't fit into my allotted calories and tends to cause me to over eat.

If it's worth it to you, just plan on fitting it in and knowing ahead of time how many calories are in your favorite drinks (most have WAY more calories than I would have anticipated).

To me, the easiest way to include it is by exercising more.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    if you're going to do it, make sure your drink is going to get you drunk. don't want to waste perfectly good calories drinking coors.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    edited January 2015
    Used to, if I were to have a meal like the one in my default pic (ribs/chicken), I'd have 2-3 beers to go with it... Now, I just eat less of the meal and maybe have 1 beer, 1-2 times per week. Alcohol doesn't need to be eliminated, but you need to keep an eye on how much you consume... Calories from alcohol add up VERY quickly.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    I have wine many evenings. I drank wine many evenings while I was losing. I don't see the need to remove that "snack". I enjoy it. It's part of my overall healthy diet and lifestyle.

I don't really view alcohol as a snack. Alcohol is bad for my health as far as I'm concerned. Snacks aren't really. I know people say in moderation it's okay, but the way it makes me feel tells me otherwise. I wouldn't categorize it as part of an overall healthy diet and lifestyle.

I still drink it sometimes though.