Running question-how to put into my exercise

Options
Hello all... I've started the c25k. Today will be W2D1. My question is how do I put the running parts into my exercise log? I'm asking this because I can't run very fast... I run on a treadmill and running at my conversational pace is only 3 mph right now.... I'm embarassed to say that but it's true. I've tried to run faster and I've found more than 3 mph is too fast right now. I'm not sure how to put this into my exercise because running 3 mph is barely running (I know). I've just been putting it in as walking 4 mph.

Replies

• parmoute
    parmoute Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I take the average pace across the whole workout and log that. Just divide the total distance by the total time, regardless of how many intervals you do and at what pace.

Over time, you'll make it further and further without increasing the length of the workout and you'll know you're picking up speed!
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    this is what i do:

go to the runners world calculator:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator

this will give you accurate results for your specific weight/etc at a specific speed.

now, if you're going a constant speed on your treadmill, that's easy. just use that speed and you're done.
    if you're doing a variable speed program, i actually track my time at each speed, but that's a little OCD on my part.. you could also just average the speed (over the time vs. distance) and use that.

do not worry about whether someone typed in a description of it as 'running' or 'walking' or whatever. you can enter your own description as a new exercise if you really want. at the end of the day, you're moving X weight at Y speed for Z time. That is what determines calorie burn, not whether you think you're walking or jogging.

good luck. i started walking at 4.5 mph for 40 minutes, now i run at 6mph an hour a day. keep pushing yourself.