Question about Calorie Intake

Options
Hey everyone

I am currently 192 lbs and 5'4. I started at 256 last May. I was wondering what my weekly weight loss goal should be? I have been losing around 2-3.5 pounds per week for the past few months but I know the more I lose, the less I will lose in the future. I have mine set to 2 lbs a week and my goal is 1270. I was just wondering if this was too aggressive or if that sounded right. Honestly the whole BMR and TDEE still confuses me. As far as exercise, I only walk on my treadmill 3-4 days per week for around 35 minutes. I know its not much, but that it is at least something I can maintain long term.

Thank you!

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    This all depends on you. Is 1270 calories too few for you to stick to consistently and without feeling any negative effects, like exhaustion, dizziness, extreme cravings/urges to binge, etc? Then it's too aggressive, and you should lower your weight loss goal to 1-1.5 pounds per week. If you're able to stick to 1270 calories just fine, have no problems or side effects, and are happy to continue with it, go for it. At some point in your weight loss, you will reach a time when MFP will no longer automatically give you a calorie goal to lose 2 pounds per week. You can put in "2 lb per week," it will automatically spit out a 1200 calorie goal, and it will say that your estimated loss per week is some number of pounds less than 2. At that point in time, I'd recommend lowering your goal to 1-1.5 pounds per week for sure. 1200 net calories is not very many if you're not exercising much, and honestly it just gets hard to stick to it consistently.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Everyone will be different but that sounds very low to me. Maybe try to set your goal for 1 pound or 1.5 per week and see how that goes for a month.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Awesome job on your weight loss! As you get closer to goal, your goal should be less aggressive.