Loose skin or still fat to lose?

Options
I'm super self-concious about this but I have an ongoing disagreement with people about whether what's left of my belly is a combination of fat and loose skin or simply loose skin (my argument is for the first). And I'm fearful that maybe I have become somewhat obssesive. Some people think I've become obsessive over still losing weight when all that's left is the loose skin on my belly and other areas (according to them). I really think there's more to lose. Can i get an opinion from you guys? I'm sorry my mirror is so dirty. Also the first two are pictures of me bending over. I'm thinking I have about 15 more lbs to lose before i lose the belly fat/lose skin (if i'm right).
aj2wyl05kg65.jpg
ko79h0mlhkcn.jpgznq2h8up3egf.jpg
jir55p0zfwdw.jpg

Replies

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Honestly from the photos it looks like loose skin with a layer of fat under it. However it's very hard to tell by looking at photos. You can tell more by touch. Skin itself is very thin, fat is not. Pinch a small amount of skin on a very low fat area of your body (such as the back of your hand or top of your foot (if you have fat hands or feet, check the top (not the bottom or underside) of your fingers or toes), that is what skin feels like. Then pinch a small section the excess on your stomach. Is there a difference?
  • jocooper43016
    jocooper43016 Posts: 13 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'd be more concerned with how dirty your mirror is.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Looks like you can lose a bit more weight. What does your doctor say?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Also, do you have children? Many women who have been through pregnancy and labour can carry around a bit of a loose skin paunch on their stomach long afterwards, even if they're otherwise fit and healthy. Don't worry about it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    It's more loose skin than fat. There is still some fat, but there is much more loose skin.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I'd also say you have some more fat to lose. The skin will still sag/hang, but will lie flatter without the layer of fat underneath.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I will also add that you can rarely listen to other people on the status of your weight loss. They always (in my experience) tend to say that it's time to stop losing when the job's not done.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    I will also add that you can rarely listen to other people on the status of your weight loss. They always (in my experience) tend to say that it's time to stop losing when the job's not done.

That can be dangerous advice sometimes, though. Some people do diet to extremes and have distorted ideas about their own bodies, and need the people around them to give them a reality check.

The truth is that none of us -- even those of us without those issues -- is particularly objective about what we see in the mirror. If everyone around me who cared about me told me I had lost too much weight, I'd hope that I'd at least consider that they might have a point.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I've been hearing that all the time lately. I have a little tummy paunch, once that is gone I'll be happy!!

OP as the others have said, your tummy looks like a mixture of loose skin and fat. When you hold the plank position does your stomach kinda hang like a deflated water balloon?

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's more loose skin than fat. There is still some fat, but there is much more loose skin.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think this is what's going on. Looking just at your side and arms, I would guess (this is obviously just a guess) that you are somewhere around 22% body fat give or take a few %, with loose skin making up the rest. If that's ballpark right, I don't think you need to go lower than that.

• drattedfatbody52
    Options
    Hi! I have worse loose skin/underlying fat but I also just saw my pcp last week and she told me to stop dieting, maintain and tone through cardio and strength training because she said that I am probably "carrying" 10-15 lbs of excess skin and could still work on the underlying fat but only through toning so that I don't deplete my muscle mass too much. So I've gone on maintenance and was given a range to weigh which is higher than my original goal because I have so much loose skin. Mine is on my arms, abdomen, back and thighs so it's pretty bad. I've become "good friends" w/ Spanx. I call them my hold it 'til you mold it helpers. I love my compression exercise clothes but can't wear those to work. I also continue to use body oil almost daily to keep my skin supple and live in hope that it may catch up to my body a little bit. Good luck and congrats on your weight loss. Your body is still likely healthier than you were before. Don't lose sight of the bigger goal. Your health really is more important than loose skin.

Since I've been working out the past month or so, I've noticed that my upper abdomen has reduced from above my waistline, so there is hope.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Wow, looks like you lost a lot of weight, congratulations! It looks to me like you have a combination of loose skin as well as a bit more fat underneath, like you've said. Here is a video of a man who lost a lot of weight and has lots of loose skin with a low fat %, if the comparison helps!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=CpKDteQ3FIQ
  • Beck2288
    Beck2288 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    Looks like you can lose a bit more weight. What does your doctor say?
    I haven't asked honestly. I didn't think that was something you could take to your doctor, which now sounds completely crazy lol.
  • Beck2288
    Options

I've been hearing that all the time lately. I have a little tummy paunch, once that is gone I'll be happy!!

OP as the others have said, your tummy looks like a mixture of loose skin and fat. When you hold the plank position does your stomach kinda hang like a deflated water balloon?

A little yes
  • Beck2288
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Thank you for your response.

• Beck2288
    Options
    Wow, looks like you lost a lot of weight, congratulations! It looks to me like you have a combination of loose skin as well as a bit more fat underneath, like you've said. Here is a video of a man who lost a lot of weight and has lots of loose skin with a low fat %, if the comparison helps!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=CpKDteQ3FIQ

Thanks for the info and that video was very informative.
  • Beck2288
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think this is what's going on. Looking just at your side and arms, I would guess (this is obviously just a guess) that you are somewhere around 22% body fat give or take a few %, with loose skin making up the rest. If that's ballpark right, I don't think you need to go lower than that.

Thanks so much this was really helpful. I didn't think to ask my doctor about this in particular. It's silly but i didn't. I think I'll get my BMI measured soon too.
  • Beck2288
    Options
    Hi! I have worse loose skin/underlying fat but I also just saw my pcp last week and she told me to stop dieting, maintain and tone through cardio and strength training because she said that I am probably "carrying" 10-15 lbs of excess skin and could still work on the underlying fat but only through toning so that I don't deplete my muscle mass too much. So I've gone on maintenance and was given a range to weigh which is higher than my original goal because I have so much loose skin. Mine is on my arms, abdomen, back and thighs so it's pretty bad. I've become "good friends" w/ Spanx. I call them my hold it 'til you mold it helpers. I love my compression exercise clothes but can't wear those to work. I also continue to use body oil almost daily to keep my skin supple and live in hope that it may catch up to my body a little bit. Good luck and congrats on your weight loss. Your body is still likely healthier than you were before. Don't lose sight of the bigger goal. Your health really is more important than loose skin.

Since I've been working out the past month or so, I've noticed that my upper abdomen has reduced from above my waistline, so there is hope.

Thank you so much for this. It does give me hope

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I think that the plank position exaggerates it. My stomach looks relatively flat standing up, but not so much with the plank position where it hangs more.

I would just ask a doctor.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to tell! If I had to guess, I'd say there was still fat to lose in there, but I don't know.

Definitely ask the doctor next time you're there for a check-up.