Starving on 1200 calories a day

Options

Replies

• Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If you feel hungry then eat, just pick healthy items. Maybe at least bump up to around 1400. You will lose the weight as long as you are in a deficit. If you want to eat more, exercise more. You don't have to starve and make yourself sick to lose weight. I was doing it in the beginning but when I bumped up my calories, I felt better and found I was losing weight more efficiently. You didn't gain weight over night. You may lose a little slower but it will be the healthier route to take.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you are training for/and/or running marathons, you probably need to eat more calories.
    I am eating around 1400/day on maintenance. I was around 1200 while losing. I am 63, 5'2-3/4" and not doing anywhere near the amount of exercise you are doing.
    I have to say that pre-MFP, I did not really remember ever being hungry. I ate all the time. I did not really know what it felt like to be hungry. I got to know when I needed something, and always have some fresh fruit or raw veggies to have a quick snack.
    For me, my body got used to the lower calorie intake over time. It was difficult at first, as, before finding MFP, I was literally eating enough to feed two people, and it definitely showed.
  • Jessicaisfree
    Jessicaisfree Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the replies- I'm happy to report that I'm down 2 lbs in 6 days after I started eating MORE! I haven't been hungry like a crazy person and I've had the energy to run again.

You guys rock!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lower your goal to increase your calories. Additionally, add in exercise to earn more.
  • candiceeastman
    Options
    If you are feeling hungry but trying to lose weight stick to high protein and high fiber meals. Protein and fiber help you feel full and stay full while allowing you to stay within your calorie intake boundaries. Also, healthy should not taste bad and I am a firm believer that if it does you are lacking some key nutrients (like healthy fats,vitamins, and flavonoids). Granted, if you are addicted to sugars and fats you will need to reset you tastebuds, however this should take about 2 weeks! Soon healthy will taste best.
    Also remember that it's not all about the weight on the scale. If you ran a marathon in November I assume you work out regularly and have quite a bit of lean muscle on you! Muscle weighs more than fat so think in fitness. If you are starving your body is telling you you need nutrients and calories! I'd suggest going online to Myplate.gov and doing a very accurate diet log for as long as possible. There you can see a very detailed nutrient breakdown and see what you may be missing in your diet. Remember you need complete protein (14 amino acids) for your body to correctly use. Animal meats have complete protein so pick lean cuts. If not there are combinations of foods (like grains and legumes) that will allow your body to adequately use what you are eating. Good luck!!
    Well, I've been actually eating around 1400-ish but still feel hungry :( Is it normal to be hungry when you're losing? Kind of a stupid question, but I've heard that if you're hungry you're doing something wrong? Thanks for your feedback!

• myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    If you are starving them there is a problem, but it is okay on occasion to be a little hungry (as far as I'm concerned) but if it is keeping you awake or making you light headed, then eat something. My definition of a little hungry is going "hmmmm, I could sure use a sandwich and a cup of tea right now" or "I wonder if I have a banana in my backpack".
  • myfatass78
    Options
    But get your calories right first
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm saddened to see how many women here STILL buy that they should eat 1200 calories per day to lose weight. Sure, you might lose WEIGHT, but you're losing a lot more than just fat; lean muscle mass isn't easy to come by and ultimately retaining that muscle is the key to a healthy metabolism, not to mention eating enough to fuel it.

Unless a client of mine was a female under 5 feet tall, 100 pounds and taking a rest day, I would never have her eat that few calories. Its not sustainable and not healthy.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    JossFit wrote: »
    I'm saddened to see how many women here STILL buy that they should eat 1200 calories per day to lose weight. Sure, you might lose WEIGHT, but you're losing a lot more than just fat; lean muscle mass isn't easy to come by and ultimately retaining that muscle is the key to a healthy metabolism, not to mention eating enough to fuel it.

Unless a client of mine was a female under 5 feet tall, 100 pounds and taking a rest day, I would never have her eat that few calories. Its not sustainable and not healthy.
    Yup.

• NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Blissgage are you quite small? Maybe once the weight is gone 1200 will be satisfying?
    I'm 5'8" and have gone up to 133, I'm usually hungry when I eat 1200. Focusing on healthy fats and protein helps, as does drinking a lot of water and tea. I definitely have to leave some calories for an afternoon and evening snack.

But honestly, eat 1400 or so and lose a bit slower. You'll be happier, more likely to stick with it, and you won't make as big a change when you add some calories back later.

Oh, and baby carrots. Delicious, fun to eat, suuuuuper low calorie.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't find myself super hungry very often. I have my goal set for 0.5lb per week, which for me is 1200 cal, plus I add in 100 cal for breastfeeding a toddler. Anyway, what helps keep the hunger away for me is eating small snacks/meals throughout the day, and always including fat & protein in my snacks. I find that if I'm eating enough fat, I'm more satisfied.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I was dizzy all the time on 1200 so went back to 1500 plus exercise cals. I'm down to 1400 now and still losing about lb a WK. Slow an steady is by far the better route.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Nonstarchy vegetables out the wazoo. Great big salads with 2 Tbsp of light dressing. These have very few calories but can "fill in the hole" so you don't fall over and die. Believe me I know the feeling. I'm oldish and short, and 1200 looks and feels like portions for a toddler. It's like I live on carrots and crumbs! So I've made friends with vegetables!
  • myfatass78
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Agreed. I did the 1200 calorie thing last time and it messed with my head. My relationship with food was damaged because of it because it become functional rather than pleasure. I had the start of an eating disorder and got down to 47.5kg (104.72 pounds). It messed with my metabolism, put me in bed for six weeks for which I mostly slept (I was unemployed so no issues with work). It messed with my bones, my liver and gave me food intolerances that I never had before that worsen as I got older. Yeah, I was thin and I got there quick but it turned out there was no pot of gold at the end. Things were not suddenly "better" than they were before but hey I looked good in a bathers (sarcasm). I'm now eating 1500 - 1600 each day regardless and still losing weight (I gained it all back plus more).
  • Jessicaisfree
    Options

Yeah, I took everyone's advice and have been filling up on protein & veggies. I'm happy that I have the energy to run again. I'm going start lifting weights to develop some upper body strength.

For me, 1200 was not something could do, so I've eating around 1600. The weight is dropping like crazy now!

You guys are smart :).
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't think 1200 calories is enough for most people! Google a BMR calculator and get a more accurate amount of calories you should be consuming based on your height, weight, body type, activity level, and how much you wanna lose, etc.
  • myfatass78
    Options

Yeah, I took everyone's advice and have been filling up on protein & veggies. I'm happy that I have the energy to run again. I'm going start lifting weights to develop some upper body strength.

For me, 1200 was not something could do, so I've eating around 1600. The weight is dropping like crazy now!

You guys are smart :).

We are smart because most of us have made all these mistakes before and / or put all the weight back on plus more. Starved myself once, never again.
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1600 calorie diet and love it!!! I can lose weight, I feel amazing, I am not hungry.
  • Jessicaisfree
    Options
    Yes to this^^^^
  • perems1
    Options
    The problem of feeling hungry on a 1,200 calorie is due to eating the so called "empty calorie foods" such as 70 calorie candy bar, cookies, too much white bread etc... It is important to choose the right foods. Just because it is a 1,200 calorie or 1,500, people might want to eat whatver they want and think they are still losing true weight. Muscles need protein and need to be conserved. I am doing really well on a 1,300 calories. I add a lot of high nutrient foods (super foods) in my meal plan like fruits, lots of vegetables, nuts, essential oils, dairy. The secret to a healthy calorie restriction is to combine certain foods that together will give you much more nutrients than the food alone. For example: rice and beans, peanut butter and jelly. It's always good to eat carbs and protein together along with fiber (apple). I take a glass of orange juice with 1 tea spoon of psyllium which is healthy and loaded with fiber, that is going to keep you fuller for much longer. Water is also the secret. Our bodies need H2O, so that being said, an adult should drink their weight divided by half in ounces, so the body can be flushed naturally, you stay hydrated, and you lose true weight and not water weight. I hope that helps ☺️