Soldier fighting for his life, battles are best fought together.

Options
hattris
hattris Posts: 5
edited January 2015 in Introduce Yourself
I had been an active person all my life. I was slightly overwieght before, but was a fit large man at 6'2", 250lbs. If it wasn't military training, it was sports. If no one had time for sports, I'd go for a run. Life was great. I have a great career, 18 years and counting. I have a beautiful, caring and fun loving wife. I have four great kids 9, 7, and the twins are 2.5 yrs. life was great. Then I broke my back during a military training exercise. Since the accident; I lost feeling in my legs, was confined to a wheelchair, then a hospitail bed, all throughout a six month period. I then had surgery. It has let me walk again but has left me with chronic pain for the past six months. Now it's hard to get out of bed in the morning. I can hardly tie my own shoes, use the toilet, or care for my children on my own. Im depressed and have sought help for it. A year has passed since this journey has begun. I'm finally going back to work, sort of. I will go to work for four hours a day while I continue to recover. So I tried on my uniform tonight....as if my life wasn't depressing enough. I've gained 100lbs. It's not as though I hadn't noticed I'd gotten heavier, I just didn't want to believe it. I can't take this any more. This is not me. I want to play with my kids, and one day their kids. I want to close my eyes and wish this all away. But I can't. So I will start here. I will take this first step towards my future, knowing it's going to be tough. But I can do it. I have too. For my wife. For my kids. For me.

I'm always looking for motivators and new friends.

Replies

• xxoneluckygirlxx
    xxoneluckygirlxx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your service. I wish you luck with your goal : ))))
  • scrapbookingtm
    scrapbookingtm Posts: 1,916 Member
    Options
    I too thank you and am so sorry for your injury. I have lived with chronic pain for years so I know how hard it is to just function some days (physically and mentally). I am finally getting a handle on it. I am glad you are starting to get your life back. I hope you have many successes and can move forward from your trials. I wish you the best.
  • Mtfd02
    Mtfd02 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    add me!
  • hattris
    Options
    Mtfd02 wrote: »
    add me!

I can't figure out how to add people. Where's the friend request button. Someone sent me one, I just don't know how to send a friend request. Once I figure it out.....I can add you. Although now I look completely incompetent and you may not want to add me anymore.
  • PammieSuzyQ
    PammieSuzyQ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm a Vet, I'll add you.
  • dafoe88
    dafoe88 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much sir. I'll add you. Us big boys stick together!
  • angel388
    angel388 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Added you..
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your service! Good luck with your goals!
  • briandevercieu
    Options
    Hi there!! I'm adding you, hope we could be friends. Wish you the best!!
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If you're using the ap for some reason you can't friend request people, but if you're on a PC, click their name and then the friend request button.
  • darvellveal
    Options
    Sorry to hear what happened. I myself a military man, have been suffering. I messed up my Achilles tendon trying to hooah and im infantry. I've recovere, but the weight gain has played a big part in my life. Also the cronic pain every morning. I can understand the difficulty in a way. Sorry to hear about your injury, but stay strong HOOAH
  • Aaron949
    Aaron949 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your service and I know you'll be successful in your journey.
  • div9diva44
    div9diva44 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your service, dedication and honesty! Please feel free to add!
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    From one former soldier to another - thank you for continuing to serve.

Feel free to add me.

Best of luck to you!