Did anyone watch "Fat and Back" on TLC?

Options
There was a lot of hubbub in the popular press about this so I watched part I. She's a little bit hard to take but she tempered her attitudes by the end of the first hour. She's a British tv personality who naturally maintains at underweight who claims fat people are lazy and disgusting. She spent 3 months gaining as much as she could, which wound up to be about 48 lbs., I think. Then in part 2 she spends 3 months losing it, to show how easy it is.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    did she actually get back to where she started ?
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    She is a total f***wit who should not be given any attention. Would rather chop my arm off than watch/read anything about her.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    did she actually get back to where she started ?
    Her weight? I don't know, that's part two. I thought it was implied she did but since the doctor told her that she was underweight, maybe she aimed for a higher end weight?

It was sort of poetic justice that she asked those men athletes if she looked ok in a bikini and they told her, no, she should gain 15-20 lbs. to look ok.
  • InigoM123
    InigoM123 Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yep watched it on YouTube, it was under a different name tho, I guess it was changed to "Fat and Back" because it was airing on a US network. The lady... Katie Hopkins is on the UK's Celebrity Big Brother right now. I liked the show and she does have a point, that if fat people stopped eating so much and moved a bit more they would lose weight.... like Calories in vs Calories out. Her delivery leaves a lot to be desired, but like I said she is not wrong. I won't spoil anything about the 2nd part, but she does soften... or should I say symathise a little more with bigger people.... sort of.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    There was a lot of hubbub in the popular press about this so I watched part I. She's a little bit hard to take but she tempered her attitudes by the end of the first hour. She's a British tv personality who naturally maintains at underweight who claims fat people are lazy and disgusting. She spent 3 months gaining as much as she could, which wound up to be about 48 lbs., I think. Then in part 2 she spends 3 months losing it, to show how easy it is.

She's a loud-mouthed opinionated idiot who became famous on a reality TV show and very few people can stand

she's made a career out of being objectionable
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Katy Hopkin's is a complete *kitten*.

That said, she's right about the weight loss thing.

Pretty much this, she has made a career recently of saying some pretty f***ed up thing, but I agree with her her weight loss views
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the person involved and I didn't watch the show. But if it is a question of whether fat people are fat because they're lazy and they eat too much, yeah, that is pretty much true.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Part 2 was on recently. She lost all but about 11 lbs. of the 43 she gained, and didn't lose the rest at her doctor's suggestion because she was underweight before.

I'm not impressed. Even at her heaviest, I think she was probably only 10 lbs. or so into 'overweight' BMI, and she didn't have the hardest part-- the habits and lifestyle of an overweight person. Her point was 'all you have to do is eat less and move more', which to me is obvious and while it IS that simple, it's not easy for many. It sounds like she gained an inkling of compassion, though.
  • Iwannabebobbysgirl
    Options
    Izzwoz wrote: »
    She is a total f***wit who should not be given any attention. Would rather chop my arm off than watch/read anything about her.

This - horrible, vile person who is completely detestable - totally minimises the struggle people have who have struggled to lose weight that they have carried for a long time - putting weight on for a short period with the deliberate intention of losing it again does not equate to somebody who has struggled with an eating disorder for the majority of their adult life. Also, how many of us would be more successful if we could afford a nanny to take care of the kids, while our chef prepared our meals and we were out with a personal trainer for several hours a day

• softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I don't think that this "documentary" addressed a lot of emotional baggage about weight, like child sexual abuse, rape, other traumas, that are often higher than normal in obese women. Disabilities, nice that this woman had no bad knees from prior injuries...we are not all just "fat and lazy".

Funny, she never lost that last 15 pounds she gained, saying she looked better now...not! She found out losing is not that easy!