What is a cup?

Options
bloblynda
bloblynda Posts: 99 Member
MFP recommends 8 cups of water/day. What is a cup? So far I have drunk 1 litre - How does that convert?

Also in American recipe terms what is one cup of chopped carrots? Is it about 8 ounces or about 250g?

In a perfect world these would be standardised

Replies

• sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    it is eight ounces, so far you drank about 4 cups of water. also a cup is a measure of volume-not weight. we are talking 8 fluid ounces = same volume as a cup
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I cup is also about 250 Milliliters. So 1 Litre = 4 cups
  • bloblynda
    Options
    Doesn't take long to get an answer from you clever folk does it? Thanks a million
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I bought a digital scale that goes easily from oz to gm and it was under 10 bux!

also there are converters on line
    http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/grams-to-ounces.htm
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I can never figure out the conversions either but if you go to any internet search engine you will quickly find many websites that convert from English to metric, cups to ounces, etc.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    scales measure weight ounces, not fluid. a cup is equal to 8 fluid onces not 8 weight ounces.

ounces are based on water, one fluid ounce weighs one ounce..this is not true of things that arent water. an ounce of oil will not weigh one ounce

a gallon of water weighs 8 lbs
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    scales measure weight ounces, not fluid. a cup is equal to 8 fluid onces not 8 weight ounces.

ounces are based on water, one fluid ounce weighs one ounce..this is not true of things that arent water. an ounce of oil will not weigh one ounce

slaps forehead:blushing: doh! I wasn't thinking cup as in fluid. I was thinking of another thread I was just on:blushing:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Ok...........the second part of your question did involve dry weight. OK...........whew
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Ok...........the second part of your question did involve dry weight. OK...........whew

Is that officially a blonde moment? lol
  • bloblynda
    Options

You must be in the US; in the UK a gallon of water weighs 10 lbs!
  • bloblynda
    Options

You must be in the US; in the UK a gallon of water weighs 10 lbs!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    1 cup is 8 ounces or 240 grams. For water, 8 cups is 8 ounces.
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Is that officially a blonde moment? lol

Who me??:huh:

:laugh: