Want to drop fat add muscle

Options
Hi I'm female, 39 (in two weeks), 5.5 and am down from 155 pounds after my third baby 3 and a half years ago to 133 (the last 8pounds took 6 months on and off with the help of mfp). I'm enjoying being this weight but it feels a little precarious as the minute I have a bad week (even though it wouldn't be over my maintenance calories) I put on 3 pounds! I'd like to push a half stone lower at some point just to feel a little safer from weight fluctuation and lose a bit more curve but I feel like i need a break from the restrictions for a while (plus I have the kids summer holidays coming up and really struggle to eat low calories when they are around). SO from reading the forums I think I'm going to add 100 calories a week to my diet until I'm up to the recommended 1750 a day maintenance calories (in the hope that that will stop the instant weight gain) and would like to try adding some weights to help and shape too. BUT can anyone recommend how I could do this without joining a gym. I already do 1 hour Pilates, 45 mins-1 hour run, 1 hour kickboxing a week and so don't really have the time or money to join a gym. I have 2x2.5kg dumb bells and a resistance band and large Pilates ball. Could these be enough to build a muscle gaining routine around at home or am I going to have to join a gym or buy more kit (I keep hearing about 'heavy lifting' and am presuming thats talking about quite a lot more weight) My current fat percentage is 28% according to the Boots chemist scales. Thanks.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Look into bodyweight exercises, like Body by You. That will be more effective than 2.5kg dumbbells.

While you are starting looking into things, use the dumbbells to do something like 30 day shred, available on YouTube.
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend the New Rules of Lifting for Women book as a guide to start strength training. Don't be afraid of weights. Plus there are lots of tips for home exercisers.
  • Monroe07
    Monroe07 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great thank you. Amtryng 30 day shred now!