Facts

Options
Counting calories is important- A calorie is a calorie whether fat,protein or carbs...weight loss is calories in and calories out.

Eat sometime during the morning- You dont have to jump up outta bed and eat. Eat when ur hungry.

Eat when you want to maintain calories- You can eat 3-6 meals a day and still lose weight...You just need the same caloric intake.

Carbs are NECCESARY- Carbs do not make you fat, calories do

Fats increase fullness-Fat is twice as fattening as protein and carbs but STILL dont avoid it. Eliminating fat will make you more hungry

Exercising alone is not enough- Exercising alone will not burn calories. You will not lose weight if you dont cut calories and exercise

Dont deprive yourself from sweets- Depriving yourself is the downfall of any diet. You can have sweets but still keep to your diet...Calories in/ Calories out...I dont care if your 150lbs or 700lbs...As long as u stay in your calorie range for your age weight and height you will lose weight.

Get on the scale- Weigh yourself once a week or every 2 weeks at the same time everyday to make sure your eating enough.

Calories dont know time- If your calorie intake it 1500 cals a day and you have 300 left at 10PM, eat.

Calories are calories- Snacks arent the culprit calories are. Women need 1400-1600 calories to lose weight.

So what im saying is...Dont give up on the foods you love to enjoy. I love me some pancakes with syrup for breakfast, a grilled cheese or pb and j for lunch, and whatever my family wants for dinner every night...Will I lose weight??? As long as im in my 1300-1600 calorie range it doesnt matter what I eat, I will lose weight. I can have burger king or taco bell as long as I stay in the 1300-1600 goal. I have been trying to lose weight for 2 months...The first month I lost 10lbs...From eating whatever I wanted. When I wanted. The anniversary of my Dads death sent me into a binge and i gained all the weight back. The 2nd month I tried to eat healthy...Eggs, fruit, salad the whole shabang. Went from 185-177. and im stuck at 177. Scale will not go up or down...Because my bodies being deprived from the foods I enjoy...Im not saying eating fruits and salads isnt healthy...Im saying they are healthy but you can still lose weight on what people call BAD foods.

In conclusion. EAT what u want. If you want a healthy diet...Go for it...If you love fast food, its not a healthy choice to eat everyday but stay at your calorie goals. 500 calorie deficit is what you need. Whether thats 250 calories restricted and 250 burned in exercise a day, or 500 calories restricted and no exercise.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything except this...
    Eat sometime during the morning- You dont have to jump up outta bed and eat. Eat when ur hungry.

Some people get sick eating before noon. You talk later about calories not being able to tell time--this is another case of that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Glad you've found an approach you like. Doesn't equate to "fact", but happy for you nonetheless.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I agree with the overall point of the post, but many of the "facts" are wrong, especially as blanket statements.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Exercising alone is not enough- Exercising alone will not burn calories. You will not lose weight if you dont cut calories and exercise.

That is not true. Exercise does burn calories and if you increase your activity without increasing your food intake, you will lose weight. What typically happens, however, is that when people exercise they think they can eat whatever they want, so it results in no weight loss or even weight gain. If a person is exercising a lot, they actually need to increase what they eat, but they must be careful not to increase it too much.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I wake up at 3:00 a.m. and don't eat until roughly 10-11, so it is not necessary to "eat in the morning". You're contradicting yourself, because then you go on to say calories don't know time. This would fall under that concept of timing is irrelevant.
  • CARoberts73
    CARoberts73 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Glad you've found an approach you like. Doesn't equate to "fact", but happy for you nonetheless.

Agreed.

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    "Exercising alone is not enough- Exercising alone will not burn calories. You will not lose weight if you dont cut calories and exercise" - That doesn't even make sense. Of course exercising alone will burn calories. Other than calories burned through your BMR, it's the only way to burn calories.
  • JaydensMama418
    Options
    What I meant was you can eat at midnight...They say if u eat passed 8 that you'll gain weight...its not true.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What I meant was you can eat at midnight...They say if u eat passed 8 that you'll gain weight...its not true.

Even so, you do not need to eat breakfast to lose weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Maybe the real key here is not to listen to "them". :)
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I agree with the spirit of your post, just not all of the points. I also am glad you have found what works for you.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories- Snacks arent the culprit calories are. Women need 1400-1600 calories to lose weight.

Like everyone else said above, I respect the intent of this post. But this quote is my personal quibble with it.

I lose weight eating 1700-1800 calories/day. 1400-1600 is just an odd generalization. Based on size, age, and activity levels, some women are going to need to eat less than that and some women can and should be eating more than that to lose.

Not all women need to be within that narrow calorie range for weight loss. And we should encourage people to research on their own and find their personal calorie level for weight loss.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    793936.gif
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Carbs are NECCESARY- Carbs do not make you fat, calories do

No and yes.

No- Carbs are not necessary, but are optimal.

and

yes - a calorie surplus will make you fat.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    *sigh* why does every thread on MFP turn into splitting hairs to argue just so that someone can be right.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    *sigh* why does every thread on MFP turn into splitting hairs to argue just so that someone can be right.
    Because it's the internet.

fwiw, if the thread had been titled: what's working for me these days I would have wandered past it.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    "Exercising alone is not enough- Exercising alone will not burn calories. You will not lose weight if you dont cut calories and exercise"

Fiction