Nutrition - important??

Options
Hi all

New to MFP and been doing it a week now, I have been keeping well within my calorie allowance and feel great but just wondering from a weight loss perspective how important the nutrition side is?

The app tells me I should be aiming for 50% carbs, 30 fat and 20% protein each day

I'm trying to follow this but just wondered how important this is at this stage? Should I be trying to hit these percentages or just concentrating on the calories?

I'm definitely eating healthier, lots of veggies, much less processed food etc?

I don't want to affect my weight loss by ignoring the nutrition side but wonder if I should just stick to the calorie deficit?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, it's easier to just stick to the deficit. Once you have that down, work on your macros. You will probably adjust them to something like: 35/35/30, depending on your goals (your's are still the standard MFP ones).
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    In the beginning, it's easier to just stick to the deficit. Once you have that down, work on your macros. You will probably adjust them to something like: 35/35/30, depending on your goals (your's are still the standard MFP ones).

This exactly. Focus on calories right now. Get good and consistent with your logging, then try to incorporate your macro's (protein, fat, carbs).
  • roscoeblue
    roscoeblue Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That's great thanks guys, I'm not doing too badly with them but think I will take the advice and concentrate mainly on the calories until I'm in the swing of things a bit more, much appreciated
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

This
    At first, just worry about learning how to weigh, measure and log properly and stay within your daily goal. After a few months when your comfortable with all that, then you can move on to your macros. Some do 40/30/30, but that's totally up to you. It's overwhelming at first to worry about hitting macros, so take your time and slowly you'll get there. As far as weight loss goes, stay under your goal and you'll lose. Calories in verse calories out ! :-)
  • JessaLee0324
    JessaLee0324 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I agree. Also, I think when we try to limit our calories and get the biggest bang for our buck....its natural to start eating healthier. Like you said, you are already eating better.
  • roscoeblue
    roscoeblue Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all