All day HRM?

Options
2»

Replies

• dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to hear how the Jawbone UP3 is once it finally hits market.
  • yellowdaisy3321
    yellowdaisy3321 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't like that the Charge HR is not shower or water proof like the Flex so I am jumping ship. I'm considering the Basis Peak which has a continuous HRM. Also curious about the Jawbone UP3, I personally don't think there's enough info out to make a call on how the HRM actually works, so I am in wait and see mode. I believe the Mio Alpha also has a continuous HRM although I don't know much about this brand. Right now I am leaning towards the new Basis, but am waiting to see what the reviews are like of the UP3 first.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    dunnodunno wrote: »

If it ever does. Jawbone has been downright dishonest and shady with its customers who pre-ordered it.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I have had the fitbit hr for a couple of days now. I have found the hr reasons to be pretty dead on with the readings I get from treadmills and eliptical machines while on them.

As for all day hr, it definately picks up a little when I get up and go do something at work. My reading will jump ten points just walking to the bathroom.

Today I had it track a strength workout... It recorded a mild hr gain, about 30 bpm.

Overall, I think it's useful, but it isn't really the "how many calories have I burned today " silver bullet. It is most useful for runs and other step based steady cardio.

I also like the social aspect of it... I have found myself doing laps of the building at work just to edge ahead of one of my friends step count. Lol

All in all, id recommend it, but the technology still has a ways to go.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    HRMs will accurately count heart beats all day long. HRMs will not turn that data into an accurate estimated calorie calculation. Even Polar admits that very fact. For certain events, there are formulae based on a scientifically established relationship between measured HR, max HR, effort, lactate threshold, VO2 max, actual oxygen uptake, and other factors ... HR gets plugged into the formula that already contains the rest of the variables (either measured, user input, or estimated) and a calorie estimation gets created. There is no established relationship between HR and calories for anaerobic activities, for the rest period of intervals when the HR remains elevated after the workload decreases, for sitting on your butt at work (no matter how variable your HR is during that time), etc. In the absence of a formula for those activities, the HRM plugs the HR data into a formula it has programmed and bases its estimates off that relationship which generates an inaccurate result.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    dunnodunno wrote: »

If it ever does. Jawbone has been downright dishonest and shady with its customers who pre-ordered it.

That sucks. I remember seeing you write you were supposed to get it a little after Christmas.
  • donnysoule
    donnysoule Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I have the Microsoft Band and I'm thrilled with it.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    HR is a one of many metrics used to gauge intensity but it's not a panacea. Heart rate monitor does one thing and one thing only, counts your heart rate (see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472). It's akin to rpm and gas level in a car where HR is the amount of gas left and you are drawing conclusion on the engine's rpm base on it. It's reflective what is happening, higher rpm tends to require more gas, but cannot tell you everything.