Why can't I lose weight?

Options
I'm baffled. I walked approximately 5 miles on my treadmill every day this week, ate within my calorie allotment plus I ate some of my exercise calories. The scale didn't budge. It's not like I'm eating crap either, pretty much all healthy foods.
I'm not on medication, I drink lots of water.
This just kills my motivation because I work so hard to eat right and exercise, and I get no results, so I think why bother?
Anyone have any suggestions? It would be much appreciated!

Replies

• peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    when did you start?
    the first week i started, i gained 5lbs due to started new exercises.
    then the following weeks, it melted off. it takes time for your body to adjust.
    just keep at it.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Wait longer than one week
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm baffled. I walked approximately 5 miles on my treadmill every day this week, ate within my calorie allotment plus I ate some of my exercise calories. The scale didn't budge. It's not like I'm eating crap either, pretty much all healthy foods.
    This just kills my motivation because I work so hard to eat right and exercise, and I get no results, so I think why bother?
    do you measure your food? It is very easy to go over if your not.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Your diary is private. If you change the setting to public, people can take a look at your food and maybe give you some suggestions.

Edited to add how long have you been at this (as someone above asked)? One week isn't long enough.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, weight loss isn't always an instant thing, even right when you're starting out. It sounds like you've really upped your work-outs, so your water retention will be a serious issue. When I started working out seriously every day, I gained nearly four pounds. Keep drinking that water, and watch your sodium intake! You'd be surprised by how much sodium is in things we would consider healthy. The flatbread sandwich that I've always had at Subway has almost an entire day's worth of sodium in it alone! My advice would be to keep working out, watch your sodium and drink even more water! Also, be sure to take your measurements. You may see a decrease in inches before you see a decrease in pounds.

Keep up the good work!
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Do this and you *will* lose weight:

1) Eat mostly to get the nutrition your body needs, and less for enjoyment. Establish a healthful diet and find pleasure in other things.

2) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

3) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

4) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, 25% daily value or less of sodium, and high in fiber.

5) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight should go down over every two or three days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.) Don't obsess over the scale — let it be your friend and point the way to a weight losing diet.

6) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

7) Maintain your exercise program.

I've written an essay about losing weight on my blog that talks somewhat more generally about how to lose weight. Here's a link to that essay: http://bobday.net23.net/?p=27

I find 6 smaller meals works better. Everyone is different.

Plus, water is not the only liquid you need. Coffee is good for the soul!
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Maybe your muscles are toning up? So losing fat, but replacing with muscle mass
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. One easy thing you can do that might speed up your metabolism is to speed up your walk every five minutes [push it hard without running, unless you want to run]----just one minute every 5 minutes. Try it for a few weeks and see.
    Good luck!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    :huh: So much NO here:

1) Eat mostly to get the nutrition your body needs, and less for enjoyment. Establish a healthful diet and find pleasure in other things.

No. Is eating more healthfully wise? Sure. But cut out enjoyable foods, or view enjoying food as a bad thing? No. Not sustainable in the long run. Learn now how to incorporate them into your usual eating.

2) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

No. Eat however many meals you want. Eat snacks if that works for you. The number of meals and their timing makes no difference. What matters is how many calories you take in over the course of the day, or week. Determine how many calories you need to consume to maintain a reasonable, moderate deficit, weigh and measure your food, and you're good to go.

3) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

No. Do you mean white sugar? No need to give it up, but you might want to reduce it if only because it'll eat up your calorie alottment pretty quickly, making it more difficult to hit your other more important macro targets (proteins, fats). But there's tons of sugar in other "healthy" food, including fruits. "Giving up" sugar is silly.

4) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, 25% daily value or less of sodium, and high in fiber.

No. Exactly the same meals every single day? Are you kidding me? Snoozefest. :yawn: Variety is the spice of life! Enjoy your food, be creative, make delicious things! Frozen dinners? No. Just...no. Eat real food.

5) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight should go down over every two or three days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.) Don't obsess over the scale — let it be your friend and point the way to a weight losing diet.

No. Weight loss is not linear. You cannot reasonably expect a predictable pattern of loss. It will go up and down, fluctuate wildly from day to day and week to week. Weigh in once a week, or once a day if you like. Track it, and look for a long term pattern of loss over weeks or months. Also, any old scale will do. Yeesh.

6) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

No. Enjoy variety NOW. Learn how to do it NOW. Do it NOW, so you're set up for success LATER.

Ok, yeah, I can get behind that. Exercise is good for you. It also lets you eat more. Yay.

I've written an essay about losing weight on my blog that talks somewhat more generally about how to lose weight. Here's a link to that essay: http://bobday.net23.net/?p=27

OP, my guess is that either you're (a) retaining water from all the new exercise - this will pass; (b) overestimating your calorie burns from your workouts (you should use a heart monitor, don't rely on the machine to be accurate; (c) underestimating your calorie intake (you need to measure everything with a food scale); or (d) some combo of the above.

(Also, reported that post for spam :/)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

No. Just no.
  • swillybay
    swillybay Posts: 61 Member
    Options

I find 6 smaller meals works better. Everyone is different.

Plus, water is not the only liquid you need. Coffee is good for the soul!

I'm with you! If I had to eat like this person, I'd be so bored and off my diet within days if not hours. Sounds like a rather "military" way to lose weight - might work, but only if you've got that mentality. My weight loss is taking a while, but I have just changed my diet gradually, still enjoy foods I love, but in lesser proportion and I enjoy life - just in lesser amounts! :)
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options

What everyone else says... No.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing and eventually the weight will come off. I was stuck in a weight plateau for 2-3 weeks and it just broke this morning. Granted, I had consistently been losing inches during this time. Have you been taking measurements? Sometimes the biggest and best results are seen from loss in inches and progress photos.

But I also agree, give it more than a week. Patience is key when it comes to weight-loss. All that weight didn't pack on overnight, let alone in one week, so it certainly won't come off in that amount of time either. Just give it time. :)
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    :huh: So much NO here:

No. Is eating more healthfully wise? Sure. But cut out enjoyable foods, or view enjoying food as a bad thing? No. Not sustainable in the long run. Learn now how to incorporate them into your usual eating.

No. Eat however many meals you want. Eat snacks if that works for you. The number of meals and their timing makes no difference. What matters is how many calories you take in over the course of the day, or week. Determine how many calories you need to consume to maintain a reasonable, moderate deficit, weigh and measure your food, and you're good to go.

No. Do you mean white sugar? No need to give it up, but you might want to reduce it if only because it'll eat up your calorie alottment pretty quickly, making it more difficult to hit your other more important macro targets (proteins, fats). But there's tons of sugar in other "healthy" food, including fruits. "Giving up" sugar is silly.

No. Exactly the same meals every single day? Are you kidding me? Snoozefest. :yawn: Variety is the spice of life! Enjoy your food, be creative, make delicious things! Frozen dinners? No. Just...no. Eat real food.

No. Weight loss is not linear. You cannot reasonably expect a predictable pattern of loss. It will go up and down, fluctuate wildly from day to day and week to week. Weigh in once a week, or once a day if you like. Track it, and look for a long term pattern of loss over weeks or months. Also, any old scale will do. Yeesh.

No. Enjoy variety NOW. Learn how to do it NOW. Do it NOW, so you're set up for success LATER.

Ok, yeah, I can get behind that. Exercise is good for you. It also lets you eat more. Yay.

OP, my guess is that either you're (a) retaining water from all the new exercise - this will pass; (b) overestimating your calorie burns from your workouts (you should use a heart monitor, don't rely on the machine to be accurate; (c) underestimating your calorie intake (you need to measure everything with a food scale); or (d) some combo of the above.

Yay!! Much prefer the amended version! So much common sense and much more sustainable! :drinker:
  • djrn144
    djrn144 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    We all are different and respond to different food choices. There is no one right way! it takes time to figure out what works for you and it changes as you lose weight. Hang in there, we all on our own journey and can lend support and advice but it is your body and part of the trick is to figure out what works for you.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    do you measure your food? It is very easy to go over if your not.

get a food scale and use it for everything!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    portion your food, weigh/measure everything.

Are you eating processed foods? What does your sodium intake look like?

Give it time for your body to adjust.

One thing I have found, is that I just had blood work done a couple of months ago after being on a plateau since November... following the same routine food/excercise (changing up exercise every few weeks), my bloodwork showed that not only am I deficient in Vitamin D, but I have NO Vitamin D. Something worth looking into.
  • nygr8guy
    nygr8guy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have neglected my cardio for a few months so last weekend I started again. 5 miles per day.
  • nygr8guy
    nygr8guy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yes, I forgot to mention that I weigh most of my food.