Carb Cycling

I've been hearing a lot about carb cycling and how it's really helped people out.. Has anyone tried it or is currently eating this way now? If so, do you have any advice? Anything about carb cycling would be helpful. :)

Replies

• pattyjoshockley
    pattyjoshockley Posts: 53 Member
    I had success with it for several weeks. I just got bored with it as I don't like the super low carb days. I switched back to just eating sensibly around 1200-1500 calories a day and I am still losing weight. I also found that eating 5 times a day just does not work for me very well. I read Chris Powell's books and found a lot of things in the book helpful.
    The biggest things that help me are logging all my food and planning my meals in advance.
  • BrandiMefferd
    BrandiMefferd Posts: 13 Member
    I was just reading up on this, too! I've been on the Atkins Induction for 5 days, going to try high carb/low fat for the weekend, then back to the <20net carbs M-F. I'm a carbo-o-holic, so saying goodbye to bread and pasta for weeks on end is something I know I won't be able to achieve, so I'm hoping this works! I'm aiming to lose 20lbs by May with calorie counting and C25K.
  • halaghh
    halaghh Posts: 20 Member
    I've lost about 23 pounds doing carb cycling. It's the first diet I can really see becoming an actual lifestyle. The guilt-free days keep me sane.
  • kacc24
    kacc24 Posts: 15 Member
    Are you still carb cycling? I started a few days ago and really like it. Curious to see if you were able to maintain on it.
  • I just started cycling, I do it 2x's a week. I really enjoy it. I am not a cardio person, but working on a change
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    What are you trying to accomplish with carb cycling? Note, the only thing carb cycling will do is time the bulk of your carb intake (hopefully) around your workout so that you have more available energy to workout, thus workout better/harder/faster/etc...
    Carb cycling does not bio-hack the body into losing weight better (assuming your average calorie deficit is the same between cycling or no cycling). If you can use it to perform better in the gym, allows you to create your caloric deficit easier, and you don't mind keeping track of your diet a little more closely, then by all means, might be for you.
  • 0600bob
    0600bob Posts: 19 Member
    Glad someone started a carb cycle convo. I'm ilder than most of you young sexy folks. One year ago, I went from 22% body fat to 12% then went on a carb cycle that got me to 8% (one of my pics show me at that). I'm now back on it but no longer have my trainer so could use some fine tune help. One thing people don't know is when you omit carbs, they are replaced with good fat (my faves are almonds, avocado, whole egg, ranch dressing). That way your body burns fat for energy which triggers fat burn. The issue I'm having is I don't know my fat goal each day. I'm doing under 25; 100; 200 cycle. I don't know how to tweak my fat intake other than replacing it for carb. Please message or post if you can help.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    I just finished reading Chris Powell's book. I have been doing low-carb, feel like I have hit a wall, and wanted to try something different. In the end he recommends 1200 calories for women and 1500 calories a day for men and up to an hour of cardio five days a week. Well, of course you are going to lose weight doing that. To be honest, carb cycling looked like it was going to take more work and planning than I want to put in. I am still undecided if I am going to try it or not.