Need to fix these arms!! (Female)

Options
KCfam6
KCfam6 Posts: 10 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Is there anyone out there with experience that can help a girl out!? I agreed to be a bridesmaid and the wedding is the end of May. I now have 4 months to get my arms in shape to pull off this one-strap dress. I am overweight; however, have been doing well with my eating and I am losing pretty consistently. My arms (no matter the weight loss) continue to look like flab city. What can I do at home to target that area? I have a workout bench, a bar (no idea how much it weighs), 2 5lbs discs, 2 10lbs discs, and free weights from 3lbs - 8lbs. I use my Jari Love videos; however, i feel they have a strong focus on squats & dead lifts. When you respond talk to me like a toddler because I know nothing about weight lifting/working out. The extend of my exercising is walking, bike riding, following at-home videos. The gym isn't an option for me right now but I'd be willing to purchase something to use at home. Whatever feedback you'd like to give is welcomed! Thanks!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Try reading The New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • morgo20
    morgo20 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Go on youtube and look up arm workouts.. they have tons on there.. i woudl recommend lifting heavy as it shapes your arms alot better and quicker. With the fat coming off.. and doing exercizes like bench press, shoulder press, tricep dips etc you should be able to see some great definition. If you follow a consistent program.. and weight train 3x a week.. you will deff have great results by May.
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    i concur with tricep dips. If you have free weights, you can do tricep extensions, bicep curls, push ups (including tricep pushups), chest presses and overhead presses.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Arm muscles are very small and difficult to grow, especially for women.

The best you can do is to lower bf%.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Arm muscles are very small and difficult to grow, especially for women.

The best you can do is to lower bf%.
    Really? Why do you say that? Just very curious.

Muscles are stubborn enough things to develop, why should a woman's biceps/triceps be any different? I would think easier, since biceps/triceps are rather small and respond well to high volume training quite easily. A woman (or anyone really, including men) doesn't need to lift at super-maximal weights to invoke growth. Also curling a dumbbell is no-hwere as technical like a DL, squat, OHP, or bench press. Curl and go.

But to your point about cutting, yes I agree that will be absolutely necessary.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    tricep kick backs,skull crushers,push ups.reverse curls,french presses,triangle push ups.ventral raises,reverse fly,tricep extensions,etc. those are just some that will help with the flab and the "wings" as I call them. these have helped me tremendously. just make sure you can control the weight and do proper form. I would do 8-12 reps 2-3 times.use the 8 lbs(warm up your arms and shoulders before lifting) if you have to go to a lower weight do so.

The weight has to be challenging but not to where you will hurt yourself or proper form suffers. do that 3-4 times a week and you should start to seem some results in about a month or so(maybe 2). of course you cant spot reduce so make sure you are getting some other kinds of exercise on the other days.just dont do arms back to back,one day on and one day off and repeat. you have to give your muscles time to repair themselves(you may see some extra pounds creep up but that is water weight to repair your muscles)
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Keep losing weight. Start lifting seriously.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    walterc7 wrote: »
    ^This
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Try reading The New Rules of Lifting for Women.
    This book is money well spent. I got great results from it.
  • Tabiwabbit
    Tabiwabbit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would recommend going on blogilates (on YouTube) and looking at her arm workouts in addition to lifting heavy weights. Her focus on flexibility and back strengthening will help keep your shoulders nicely shaped and give you those defined shoulder blades that make you instantly look fitter. Also, focus on your triceps, they always need the most improvement and the defined muscle will make excess skin less noticeable.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    First off, you cannot target fat from one particular part of the body. Where we lose fat from is predetermined. For more on that, Google "spot reduction myth".
    Just follow a standard fat loss plan: a calorie deficit plus full-body strength training to keep a high metabolism. Follow a good strength program, like NROL mentioned earlier, or Stronglifts, or Nerd Fitness, or work with a personal trainer. Use a weight that feels heavy, and don't modify the program to target your fatty areas extra. It won't give you the results you want. Leg exercises actually burn more arm fat than arm exercises, since they're a much larger muscle group. Makes sense?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    walterc7 wrote: »
    ^This

And this again.