Busty girls - favorite swimsuit?

Options
BarbieAS
BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
I've just joined a fitness center with a pool, and I was thinking I might start swimming laps occasionally. (Plus, I'm going to a water park with my kids in about 6 weeks, and I have a goal of getting my kids to the outdoor pool more often this summer.) I haven't bought a swimsuit in years - the few times I've been in the water recently I've worn the maternity suit I got when I was pregnant with my son almost 6 years ago - and I think it's time for a new one, and I don't even know where to start looking for a quality suit. Here's what I'm looking for:

- I'm pretty pear shaped but still with a large bust, so I need something that has some support and/or is cut to accommodate a larger chest, particularly something that won't get all weighed down and scandalous in the front.
- Something that will work for lap swimming but is still cute enough for just hanging out. Probably a one piece but I'm open to tankinis if they'll stay put.
- Something that will work with board shorts (I'm not quite to the age where I want to be wearing the old lady swim dress but I definitely need more butt coverage than any normal suit would give, so I'm completely resigned to wearing a pair of shorts over the suit and I'm fine with it.) Bonus points if it's a brand that sells coordinating board shorts so it's a little more matchy.
- Extra bonus points if it's a "slimming" suit, or at least cut to be flattering to my size 14/16 body.

Ideally I don't want to spend a car payment on a swimsuit, but I understand that when you need more than the 3 scraps of material they tie together and call a "swimsuit" at Target you've got to pony up some cash. If it's a great suit that meets what I'm looking for I'm open to spending up to maybe $100 or thereabouts. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Superstar_81
    Superstar_81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    A halterneck, underwired, tummy control one piece is my friend at the pool....plus they look cute ☺...bonus!!
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    As a former swimmer (who is looking for a health club with a good pool) there are Speedo's and there are swim accessories >:) The basic Speedo lap suit isn't going to win any beauty contests but they do have a built in bra, stay put during a flip turn and hold up well (always shower first and get the suit wet and rinse well after.

Navy or Black will work with a variety of board shorts or rash guards.

I have heard good things about Land's End.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Are you swimming or are you modeling?

Swimming? Get a Speedo and be done with it.

Modeling? Junonia has some stuff.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have bought some Delta Burke swim suits from JC Penney's that allow you to mix and match and they support me really well, especially in the ocean with crazy waves.
  • Pickles175
    Pickles175 Posts: 211 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The online bra store Figleaves.com sells swimsuits for a variety of sizes including those for very busty women. These will have cups built into the swimsuit which are essential if you have large boobs. Good luck in your search!!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Are you swimming or are you modeling?

Swimming? Get a Speedo and be done with it.

Modeling? Junonia has some stuff.

Um....ok....modeling? Really? I was looking for something that would look decent enough to wear out socially and yet hold up to lap swimming, because I don't have the money or need for 2 suits if one can do the job. Doesn't sound like such an unreasonable request to me, but thanks for that.

Anyway, thanks for the helpful responses!! I think I found a couple options at Land's End (which I also liked because I can buy online and return in-person at Sears if they aren't right). I had a good laugh because very close to EVERY review on one of the suits was attributed to someone 55+, but, hey, I'll take what I can get :). Thanks again!

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    You might also be interested in the Aquatic Fitness section at SwimOutlet. It looks like they have some not-entirely-frumpy options with support.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Elomi makes swimsuits for larger women, and the tops are fitted just like bras, underwire and all.
    I love their bras. Don't have the opportunity to swim, so haven't gotten a suit. :confused: