Sorry, not Sorry?

Hey All,

So the scale and I have been in a battle lately. I see new numbers, numbers I haven't seen in years and on some level it is exciting and yet others unnerving. I haven't been at this weight loss journey for long, I am not a naturally skinny person, and in the past my ability to shed pounds has been an uphill .2 of a pound here and there struggle.
So what gives?
How is it that I am able to shed the weight so effortlessly now? I have been very diligent about my diet but haven't increased my exercise really. I thought I might be sick so I headed to the doctor but nothing came of that. I feel like I am waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Am I just a diet pessimist or is this a natural thing I am unaware of?
Any advice would be great. Thanks for reading and hopefully sending some great info my way.
Lottlin

Replies

• scrapbookingtm
    scrapbookingtm Posts: 1,916 Member
    if the Dr says everything is fine then you must be doing everything right. Keep it up.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    What have you changed? Are you eating less and tracking it accurately? Weight loss is 90% calorie deficit. Exercise helps weight loss but many folks on here have done it all by eating less. Congrats on the loss. Enjoy you success.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Realize that you can't out-exercise a bad diet. It is WAY easier to eat more than you need and therefore gain weight than exercise a pound away.

It is working just the way it is supposed to. Keep up the good work! :D
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Weight comes off at random speeds at random intervals.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    lottlin wrote: »
    I am not a naturally skinny person

Pedantic Correction: We are all "naturally skinny". ALL OF US. It takes work, effort, and ridiculous amounts of dedication to seek out enough calories to stuff into our pie-holes to make our collective arses fat enough that we want to do something about it.

The default is "skinny". To be fat takes a metric crap-ton of effort.

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    You say you've struggled in the past... Is this the first time you've counted calories consistently?
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    You know sometimes I think people just hit a point in their lives where their metabolism changes...sometimes it's good and sometimes not so good. When I hit 31 I think I lost 15 pounds without really trying (or at least that's how it seemed - I must have changed something even if it was slightly). I felt exactly like you. Kind of afraid I was really sick because I never lost weight like that before. Now if the weight loss continues to the point where you are underweight then I would worry but for now, why not enjoy it?

FYI In the years since I have never been back up to my before weight. I gained back a few pounds from my lowest and seem to hover there with gains over holidays and travel (aka when I get sloppy and lazy).
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Is this the first time you've tracked your caloric intake? If so, you're probably eating at a true deficit for the first time. Exercise isn't necessary for weight loss, eating less than you burn is.

Or....when was the last time you checked the batteries on your scale?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    I think for some of us you just get to a point where it "clicks".

I've tried and failed to lose weight before. I don't care. I know that this time I will succeed -- I am succeeding -- and I have every confidence that I will continue to do so.

Why? Because this time I've quit making excuses, cheating the logs, lying to myself or giving up? Nah, those are the results, but not the cause. I think the cause is that this time I was really ready to do it. Those times, I wasn't. Simple as that.

Wishing you much success.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member

Pedantic Correction: We are all "naturally skinny". ALL OF US. It takes work, effort, and ridiculous amounts of dedication to seek out enough calories to stuff into our pie-holes to make our collective arses fat enough that we want to do something about it.

Or in my case a sit down job. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,246 Member

OMGoodness! I laughed so hard reading this post. I know it's not really funny, but this is so spot on. Just this week I watched a news clip reporting on how "sitting is the new smoking" and sedentary lifestyle is creating a generation of fatties with a shorter life span than our parents, and will result in more deaths than smoking cigs. The doctor on the report went on to say that our bodies were made to move all throughout the day, not sit on our bums. After a lifetime of a desk job, that got me on my feet and moving a little more than I used to. I'm looking for the "natural skinny" me to emerge!
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Hey All,

So the scale and I have been in a battle lately. I see new numbers, numbers I haven't seen in years and on some level it is exciting and yet others unnerving. I haven't been at this weight loss journey for long, I am not a naturally skinny person, and in the past my ability to shed pounds has been an uphill .2 of a pound here and there struggle.
    So what gives?
    How is it that I am able to shed the weight so effortlessly now? I have been very diligent about my diet but haven't increased my exercise really. I thought I might be sick so I headed to the doctor but nothing came of that. I feel like I am waiting for the other shoe to drop.
    Am I just a diet pessimist or is this a natural thing I am unaware of?
    Any advice would be great. Thanks for reading and hopefully sending some great info my way.
    Lottlin

There it is. Keep up the good work :)
  • lottlin
    lottlin Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks for all the responses!
    I will just keep tracking, change the batteries in my scale (I cracked up at that) and if anything else comes up I know I have a great community of people to help answer my questions.
    I would love to read the article about how sitting is the new smoking. That article sounds so spot on for many generations.
    Thanks again!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Don't be afraid to expect results. As long as you are eating less than you are burning, you will see results.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Some weeks I went from seeing a major lose to not seeing one at all. Just stay with it and you will see results. Good luck. That scale can be a little booger every now and then. It will play with my head often if I let it.