How do I avoid hypoglycemia on keto diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• dacullen
    dacullen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just read your thread, I know it's old, but I wanted to share. If ur on meds to lower ur sugar, keep momitoring ehile you're on this diet. Once your blood sugar goes low enough, you can lower a pill. I did this over weeks. I went off of 2 pills, in the end. I am still losing weight, and you'll have less dips once ur off the meds.

Hope that helps!
    D

Amen,

2 weeks on Keto Diet and I have reduced Metformin by 1/2 and Glyburide by 85%. I started with 1/2 of each and had a couple of night lows (55) before I further reduced the glyburide. And my BG numbers have been better and more consistent than any time since I was diagnosed 10 years ago. My last A1c prior to keto was a 7.9 and my current level suggests my next test will be in the mid 5's

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I would go to an endocrinologist and let them check you for PCOS and the other issues, to make sure you have those health problems. a family dr told my daughter she has a thyroid issue, she went to an endo who she saw every 3 months. she has no pcos,no thyroid disorder,no insulin resistance. so even doctors can be wrong. an endo would be your best best.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    NM
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    There are doctors that aren't meant to be seen again. I'd pick out a new one and maybe an RD if they start saying the same problems. Maybe let the doctor pick one out but only if they sounded boring enough.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My diabetes was reversed from significant weight loss (thirty pounds) and gastric bypass surgery (a known side effect). I have never gone low carb or Keto.

If it helps you feel any better, glucotabs are the most efficient way to bring your blood sugar back up for minimum calories. You may follow up with one of your fat bombs, half a protein bar, or a handful of hikers mix.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body not that doctor. If he was right you would"t be crashing. Always eat protein with a carb to keep your blood sugar from spiking then dropping.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    edurham79 wrote: »
    I am a long time sufferer of PCOS, recently my Dr explained that I was pre-diabetic,insulin resistant and suffering from metabolic syndrome. He said that the only way I would lose weight is to cut carbs. I started a ketogenic diet of 20 grams or less of carbs per day. I have lost 8 lbs in 10 days but have experienced several bouts of severely low blood sugar (45) and have had to eat glucose tablets to get it up. How can I avoid low blood sugar while on a keto diet?

If you have severely low blood sugar, and you are not taking medication that you shouldn't be taking with a keto diet, how are you pre-diabetic?
  • gonetothedogs19
    edited September 2016
    Options
    dacullen wrote: »
    I just read your thread, I know it's old, but I wanted to share. If ur on meds to lower ur sugar, keep momitoring ehile you're on this diet. Once your blood sugar goes low enough, you can lower a pill. I did this over weeks. I went off of 2 pills, in the end. I am still losing weight, and you'll have less dips once ur off the meds.

Hope that helps!
    D

Amen,

2 weeks on Keto Diet and I have reduced Metformin by 1/2 and Glyburide by 85%. I started with 1/2 of each and had a couple of night lows (55) before I further reduced the glyburide. And my BG numbers have been better and more consistent than any time since I was diagnosed 10 years ago. My last A1c prior to keto was a 7.9 and my current level suggests my next test will be in the mid 5's

Congratulations! The American Diabetes Association and the so-called diabetes educators are complete jokes. Actually, the ADA is beyond a complete joke. It is a criminal organization, recommending diets that are too high in carbohydrates that keep Americans diabetic, and make pre-diabetics become full-blown diabetics. And then they tell you it is irreversible. Baloney.

You've been suffering for ten years taking horrible drugs, and within one month on a keto diet you may be able to completely drop them. Common sense dictates that if you have Type 2 diabetes, you should greatly diminish or eliminate things from your diet that spike blood sugar (grains, sugar and fruit) from your diet until your A1c normalizes.

But don't tell that to the ADA. They are more concerned with the tens of millions in donations they get from their Big Pharma, Big Food, Big Grain and Big Drug Store masters, than telling the people the truth. Screw them.

Again, Congratulations!
  • gonetothedogs19
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »

Try the Keto group here on mfp http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
    or the PCOS/IR group here http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis or even the LC group here http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

All of them have better information and diet help for your specific health needs than the general forums. Many here on the general forum and even here in this thread have NO idea what is going on when you have PCOS/IR/Metabolic syndrome so please do yourself a favor and head to the groups i mentioned and read thru the info there. Many of us dealing with the same exact issues as you and are able to lose the weight only by low carb or very low carb and are able to manage hypoglycemia also.

All of this. Posting here you're just going to get a bunch of CICO nonsense and dangerously simplistic "a calorie is a calorie" dogma, none of which will be helpful with your circumstances.

Edit: whoops, major necro...

Exactly. Already posters here are saying
    The only way to lose weight is to cut CALORIES. Some people find that since carbs are typically loaded with calories and aren't always good for satiety, they lose weight by cutting back on them. However, if it's putting your health at risk, you need to find an alternative.

She's worried about diabetes, not weight loss. So she should cut carbs (grains) and sugar from her diet. The weight loss, if it is also desired, is secondary. Worry about the diabetes first.

And many people successfully lose weight just by cutting grains and sugar, because it eliminates high-calorie, low-satiety food and drinks from your diet.
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I was upset that I had to pop the glucose tablets but my sugar was dangerously low, it was a last resort, I had rid my home of simple sugars so I had no other options. I am trying the keto diet but it is very hard. I have to cook for three children and a husband. My husband is supporting me completely so that is helpful. He eats what I do, so we are both starving! My snacks consist of almonds or cheese sticks, or homemade frozen fat bombs. I have eliminated ALL pastas, breads, etc. and am trying to get my carbs from vegetables mostly, but getting no sugar has been detrimental to my levels, will my body eventually adjust? How can you reverse prediabetes without suffering these low levels?

This is how I don't understand how diabetics (specially type 1s) go keto. I've heard its meant to be amazing but when there's so many factors that affect blood sugars (stress/weather/medication/the type of excerise since one pushes sugars up one pushes them down/the food type) just to name a few, I'd like to not feel bad for eating carbs and to avoid seizures. They aren't fun, I would gladly drop ketosis to stop having seizures.

Edited: I just saw this is from a year and a half ago, where are all these dead horses coming from?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am a long time sufferer of PCOS, recently my Dr explained that I was pre-diabetic,insulin resistant and suffering from metabolic syndrome. He said that the only way I would lose weight is to cut carbs. I started a ketogenic diet of 20 grams or less of carbs per day. I have lost 8 lbs in 10 days but have experienced several bouts of severely low blood sugar (45) and have had to eat glucose tablets to get it up. How can I avoid low blood sugar while on a keto diet?

If you have severely low blood sugar, and you are not taking medication that you shouldn't be taking with a keto diet, how are you pre-diabetic?

Even diabetics can have low blood sugar moments. It's a roller coaster ride of highs and lows and the pancreas just can't keep up.

T1 diabetics for sure, as the insulin has to be carefully monitored.