Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm not impressed.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If OP is inspired by Kirstie Alley's story, that's really all that matters. Everyone else's opinion is interesting, but not the point.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Losing 50 lbs is hard work no matter how you do it. Kudos to her.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    If OP is inspired by Kirstie Alley's story, that's really all that matters. Everyone else's opinion is interesting, but not the point.

Really? She posted a topic for discussion, therefore people's opinions matter just as much as hers.
  • Samina1215
    Samina1215 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If at first you don't succeed, pick yourself up and try again! WTG Kristie for not giving up and doing it again!!!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Losing 50 lbs is hard work no matter how you do it. Kudos to her.

I gotta say, as someone who gained and lost the same 50 pounds at least three times, losing 50 lbs is hard work. Keeping it off is even harder. Regardless, kudos to anyone who can do it.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It's hard to keep weight off. I've lost weight and gained it back; hence, why I'm here on MFP (again). I can't knock her for being a repeat dieter. I did JC and I lost 20 something pounds with it, even though they send you that prepackaged food, it's still wasn't easy. I wouldn't do JC again b/c it's expensive and also b/c MFP works just find for me.

I hope she can keep it off. Idk if she regains to make money or if she regains b/c her relationship with food is still unhealthy. She seems like the poster child for emotional eater. Idk. But best of luck to her.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that celebrities like KA and Oprah can have personal chefs and trainers and all that and still lose and regain and lose and regain shows what a complex issue losing and keeping it off really is. It shows you can have every single advantage and all the tools in the shed and still it comes down to YOU and your own behaviour.

In some ways that's inspirational, I guess, but in others I find it super depressing LOL. Kinda like "well if they can't do with with every single advantage and while being paid an obscene amount of money, how the heck am I supposed to??"

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Kinda like "well if they can't do with with every single advantage and while being paid an obscene amount of money, how the heck am I supposed to??"

I don't think of it that way, personally. I think, wow, I'm lucky that the media isn't following me around and commenting on my weight and pressuring me at every turn! And I thank my stars I'm not a celebrity trying to make it in Hollywood, where you apparently can never be too rich, young or thin.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Ofcourse she's going to put the weight back on. She gets a huge lump sum payment every time she has to lose it again. She's making money out of yo yo'ing

BOOM!!! Quote of the day! :smiley:
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Funny, both she and Marie Osmond lost a lot of weight by being on Dancing with the Stars. Right after that, they were endorsing JC and Nutrisystem, respectively. Lots of people lose weight on DWTS (e.g., Mark Cuban, Ricki Lake, Mel B and those two come to mind). In fact, some of the "stars" actually want to participate on the show to lose weight.

I feel for anyone who struggles with weight. Especially in the public eye. So many of us have yo-yo'd so I won't criticize her more for it. I think she'd probably make more money by staying slim and working as an actress than getting hired then fired by JC. I never notice Valerie Bertinelli yo-yo'ing but perhaps I wasn't paying attention.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    Funny, both she and Marie Osmond lost a lot of weight by being on Dancing with the Stars. Right after that, they were endorsing JC and Nutrisystem, respectively. Lots of people lose weight on DWTS (e.g., Mark Cuban, Ricki Lake, Mel B and those two come to mind). In fact, some of the "stars" actually want to participate on the show to lose weight.

I feel for anyone who struggles with weight. Especially in the public eye. So many of us have yo-yo'd so I won't criticize her more for it. I think she'd probably make more money by staying slim and working as an actress than getting hired then fired by JC. I never notice Valerie Bertinelli yo-yo'ing but perhaps I wasn't paying attention.

Hahahaha, I have a friend who lost weight counting calories who now sells Advocare with her before and afters, so I guess they're role models in that respect. I didn't remember that she had done DWTS as well!

But Valerie Bertinelli apparently put on her weight after breaking her foot and now I feel like a huge jerk for lumping her in with Kirstie Alley because it could happen to anyone who doesn't change their TDEE to sedentary.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that celebrities like KA and Oprah can have personal chefs and trainers and all that and still lose and regain and lose and regain shows what a complex issue losing and keeping it off really is. It shows you can have every single advantage and all the tools in the shed and still it comes down to YOU and your own behaviour.

In some ways that's inspirational, I guess, but in others I find it super depressing LOL. Kinda like "well if they can't do with with every single advantage and while being paid an obscene amount of money, how the heck am I supposed to??"

it just makes me think they are incredibly weak people with regard to food. not everyone is like them though. doesn't depress me at all. i lost weight and kept it off without all those advantages. someone should give me money, but when it comes down to it, food just isn't one of my huge weaknesses. i just needed to learn to count calories and that's about it.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Kinda like "well if they can't do with with every single advantage and while being paid an obscene amount of money, how the heck am I supposed to??"

I don't think of it that way, personally. I think, wow, I'm lucky that the media isn't following me around and commenting on my weight and pressuring me at every turn! And I thank my stars I'm not a celebrity trying to make it in Hollywood, where you apparently can never be too rich, young or thin.

i think that if i had her millions, i'd sit on it and not work ever again. the media would lose interest.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »

Hahahaha, I have a friend who lost weight counting calories who now sells Advocare with her before and afters, so I guess they're role models in that respect. I didn't remember that she had done DWTS as well!

But Valerie Bertinelli apparently put on her weight after breaking her foot and now I feel like a huge jerk for lumping her in with Kirstie Alley because it could happen to anyone who doesn't change their TDEE to sedentary.

True! I gained a truckload of weight after demolishing my ankle in a biking accident. Was on my butt for 6 months and just ate and ate and ate, like a dayum fool!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »

i think that if i had her millions, i'd sit on it and not work ever again. the media would lose interest.

They kind of had, in fact, until the re-enlivened her deal with JC!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad Oprah shared a lot of her weight loss ideas with us. Her magical shakes showed us all that you can lose and then gain it all back. I don't think that was her intention when she did it, lol, but the truth that came out after that was a better lesson than "Look at the weight I lost!" for all who want to lose weight. Losing is hard - keeping it off is harder.

The longer I'm at it and the more people I talk to IRL or read on MFP, the more convinced I am that saying, "I'm making a change for life!" is a bunch of hogwash. REAL lifestyle changes - cleaning up the diet, finding exercise you enjoy - are the key. (I think. Time will tell.)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    She does make loads of money out of it, I'm sure. Her weight loss is always so public, and she often seems to be endorsing something (including her own weight loss system - what happened to that?). Perhaps the thought of the money helps with her motivation (and I'm not trying to be mean - I think it would help me to lose weight if I was getting paid for it).

She's so likeable though! And I think she looks great for her age, even when she's bigger. I do find her a little inspiring - she's not the best at maintenance, but she's not bad at losing it! And it's reassuring that it's hard for celebrities too, not just us lesser mortals.

There's an actress here in the UK, Pauline Quirke, who lost wait using a very low calorie meal replacement diet, which she went on to endorse. Again, she's very likeable - but in the end, she has been advertising something that doesn't seem to work long-term, as apparently she has put the weight back on.
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what is up with Oprah because I don't watch TV and see her that way, but the occasional sighting in the print media suggests she's come to terms with being billowy. And she has a 4-star chef and personal trainer on retainer. So it obviously takes more than that. Or, just deciding that a woman in her 60s need not look like a 20-year old supermodel.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    keziak1 wrote: »
    There are some stories on the web right now reporting that Kirstie lost 50 lbs in 2014 using Jenny Craig. That sort of weight loss is great, but in line with the rate of losing 1-2 lbs most weeks. She looks really good and sounds really happy with her life, exercising regularly on her bike and eating sensibly. I'm inspired! I'm a yo-yo dieter myself. I appreciate that she didn't decide that she is getting too old to even try to get into shape again.

^^Kirstie Alley is a yo-yo dieter.
    A better role model would be someone on MFP who has taken the weight off and kept it off for more than 5 years, something a very small percentage of people do (keep it off that is). You can find inspiration on the maintenance topic here and there are people that I am trying to emulate here that are role models for us all.