Exhausted after cardio?

Options
I've been doing cardio 3-5 times a week for the last year and a half, with the exception of a few weeks for vacations, etc.

I usually do the elliptical for 30 mins on weight training days and 1 hr on days I don't lift.

I thought I'd get used to it, but after cardio I am soooooo exhausted. Today, I did my workout in the morning and all day I have barely been able to stay awake to do any work!

Any tips on cardio recovery? I've tried to switch it up to later in the day, but unless I'm going straight to bed after, it's the same issue, and I get too tired to work out late at night.

Replies

• chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    As my run coach says, 'it never gets easier you just get faster!'

if you are not exhausted probably not a lot of point doing it!

Recovery wise make sure you are hydrated, and eat something
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Water afterward and eat something to replace glycogen used. Typically cardio suppresses my appetite so I delay eating slightly, but I'll make sure I'm fully hydrated before I start and keep drinking afterwards.
  • hardemanjay
    Options
    Are you eating enough protein? I know that if I don't eat some protein after working out I'm feel sluggish all day long. Maybe a protein shake afterwards.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Yeah I always eat protein right after a workout, either a shake or bar. And I drink a lot of water! But I just feel so sluggish anyway.
  • Huppdiwupp
    Huppdiwupp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    How much sleep do you get? I always feel great for the rest of the day after a long run (which for me is 2+ hours), but also so tired that I couldn't get very much work done. 30 minutes to an hour are absolutely fine though, so perhaps it just takes getting used to. If your schedule allows it, you could also try to do cardio in the evening.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Have you been to a doctor? Maybe it is time to check other things, like thryoid or anemia.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of an insomniac so it depends, but I think I got decent sleep before that workout.

Hmmm I do have a heart problem that causes really low blood pressure/fainting. Maybe it is related? I will ask my cardiologist! Good idea :o