lack of energy and motivation

Options
Ok.... so i have been at this for years. On again, Off again and back on. I can't even tell you what round this is. I always do good and MFP has helped in the past. But the last few attempts i don't seem to have the energy or motivation.

Any one with any advice as to how to get myself in gear this time, please help.

With working and coming home to run a household with 2 girls, i feel like i have no time and i don't have the motivation to get my butt our of bed in the am like i used to.

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Start with small changes that become habits instead of trying to fix everything all at once. For example, exercising for 20 minutes a few times a week, or cutting out one fast food meal a week. Maybe you can exercise with your two girls in the evening? I struggle getting out of bed to go to the gym before work each morning and do better if I do it first thing when I get home in the evening.

Good luck!
  • julierictor
    Options
    an accountability buddy helps get you on track and help get you through the tough spots..im 28 mother of 4 and if youwant you can add me and we can help each other
  • AKNMHunt
    AKNMHunt Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have no real advice, just saying I understand. I lost 20lbs while my husband was gone. I exercised, ate great, and had energy. Then, we went to visit him, he came home, we moved, I put back on 15lbs and even though I hate myself with a great passion right now, I dont have the energy. I have a 6 and 2.5yr old and no one to help out.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Someone told me recently you don't turn a cruise ship on a dime. You do not over haul your life with one giant spin. Each day make healthy choices, and stay focused on what you did well. You will never be perfect, you will eat chocolate and pizza, but don't throw in the towel because you do. One healthy choice followed by another turns into wonderful amazing things. Best of luck to you.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt even start dieting until I had a plan I had faith in and until I had made the commitment and understood every aspect of what I was trying to do. You sound a bit lost and dont have that much confidence or certainty that you will get to target. Ask yourself what makes this time different from previous attempts? You need to get past all those negatives, cant, might not, havent got time etc and nail it in your own mind that this time you will get to target. If you plan and pepare well then yake it on gradually, then you will find successes breed confidence and start to give you hope that you will make the journey from beginning to end. Toy have to get the right mindset and commit though.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I've been there. My advice is to slow down the weight loss process. No superhuman cardio sessions needed, and no trying to live life hungry and worn out. Small deficit, perhaps a little strength training and carry on living life.

I'm following my own advice right now. Losing weight and getting in shape quickly has been a bit of a point of pride for me. But I also recognize that conditions have to be perfect to do it.
  • mnalsa83
    mnalsa83 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    AKNMHunt
    Thats exactly how i feel now. I do good with meals especially since i cook, but there are days i am so exhausted from work and once softball (for my oldest) starts, the fast food comes into play. I don't worry about them. I am just finding it hard to find time to workout.

Tigger,
    the dieting part isnt the issue, its the motivation and energy to get up and get moving.
  • tiffanyfreedom
    tiffanyfreedom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just keep reminding myself how proud I am after I exercise or eat a healthy meal instead of a bad one. Even if I don't see results on the scale, I'm healthier.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Do you watch any TV? If yes, get a treadmill and watch TV only on a treadmill. I am addicted to murder mysteries, and I can burn 1000 calories watching a show!
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    an accountability buddy helps get you on track and help get you through the tough spots..im 28 mother of 4 and if youwant you can add me and we can help each other

My 8-year old is my accountability buddy. I have a calendar on my refrigerator. I stick a smily face sticker if I managed to stay within in my calorie limit every day. If not, I get a piggy sticker. My daughter gets a kick of handing out these stickers!
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options

My 8-year old is my accountability buddy. I have a calendar on my refrigerator. I stick a smily face sticker if I managed to stay within in my calorie limit every day. If not, I get a piggy sticker. My daughter gets a kick of handing out these stickers!

Thats really cute and a great idea for getting your kids involved.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    vixtris wrote: »

Thats really cute and a great idea for getting your kids involved.

I agree, what a great idea ;-) you sound like an awesome dad! Good luck OP
  • mnalsa83
    mnalsa83 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Musicandarts,
    I am a murder mystery and true crime person too but I don't have the space of a treadmill otherwise that would be perfect
  • NurseBBeav
    NurseBBeav Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a 2.5 year old and a newborn. If I can do it any one can! Just takes motivation and will power. If you don't want it bad enough you aren't gonna do it. Yea there are days when I don't feel like it but I just keep going. No one is going to force you but yourself. And I've lost almost 40lbs since I've had my baby!!
  • chubachubby
    Options
    I am in a desperate state I have had a tough 5 years and I am at the heaviest I have ever been, I am practically a recluse I have no motivation except I don't want to be a fatty and die old alone with my takeaway delivery going cold, I do really need help I have no motivation partner and I am horribly shy and embarrassed, can anyone give me the *kitten* kick I need?
  • Lorraine128
    Lorraine128 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am in a desperate state I have had a tough 5 years and I am at the heaviest I have ever been, I am practically a recluse I have no motivation except I don't want to be a fatty and die old alone with my takeaway delivery going cold, I do really need help I have no motivation partner and I am horribly shy and embarrassed, can anyone give me the *kitten* kick I need?

Friend me if you'd like to? I can check in regularly with you for some friendly motivation. I hate to think if you alone and isolated, not wanting to go out. You have what it takes and can enjoy life again. Don't think too far ahead as it can be overwhelming. The 'one day at a time' motto is a truth. Decide in yourself to do something positive today. It only needs to be one thing. I would suggest starting with food. Make small changes daily that you can stick to. Cut out sugary or fatty snacks / junk food. Or stop drinking sodas. Try and force yourself to get out of the house for a short walk. Do it in the dark if you're self conscious at first (and it's safe). Once you get more energy and your confidence starts growing just build up your walking distance, remove another poor food/drink choice and keep going. Keep your goals short term and achievable and you'll soon see results.

I'm sure there are lots of folks who's like to support you on here. Take care of yourself, Lorraine x
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    For me it is baby steps and tweaking what works for me.