Opinions on whey protein shakes

Options
I hate eating breakfast. I am up at 5:30 am on my work days. I'm a nurse and pretty physically active for the majority of my 12 hour shift. If I eat a nutritious meal before I go to work I feel sick for hours. I've tried different things too. A greek yogurt and banana, oatmeal with a little brown sugar, fiber one cereal with berries, a piece of toast. More items than I can list. All with the same effect.
When I finally can eat without the sick feeling it's 11:30 am or 12 pm and I'm feeling really run down from lack of nutrition and my activity level. When I do finally eat I'm not so good at tolerating the food and I end up eating more of a snack only to crave a high carb-high fat dinner in the evening.
I have been drinking a whey protein shake in skim milk in the morning and I'm doing alright. I don't have the same sick feeling throughout the day. I'm also finding the I'm actually hungry earlier in the day for my lunch 10:30-11:00 and I can eat an actual meal at that time without feeling sick.
I know there are other mixes (slim fast or meal replacement)that would make more sense but for the cost the whey protein is my choice.
Is there some reason I shouldn't be doing this? The articles online are really mixed about this and I kind of would like some personal opinions at this point.

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If that's what works for you, I don't see anything wrong with it. Generally, it isn't wise to drink your calories, but you seem to have a non-generic situation.
  • swballa123
    Options
    vtu69015ooqq.jpg
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I'd say it was fine, especially since other things haven't been working for you at that time.

I usually have it in smoothies or milk like you do. Also add it to overnight oats
  • Nebrie
    Nebrie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's important to find a method that works best for your body and for your work habits. I too enjoy a protein shake to keep things on the move. I use yogurt and fruit in mine to make an actual meal of it. When I worked 12 hr shifts I generally didn't eat a meal at work. No time. One crisis to the next. So I packed a few high protein snacks (almonds, protein bar) that I could eat on the fly in the few moments of down time. Usually during charting but even that wasn't a guarantee.