Any suggestions on gluten free foods.

Options
I suspect wheat glutens are causing intestinal issues like gas and may ge holding me back on weight loss. Any ideas, suggestions or cautions about eliminating glutens?

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Meat, dairy, fruit and veggies are all GF, unless something has been added to them. :)

Be careful of GF "replacement" foods, as they can be very very densely caloric. I eat those but in limited quantities, and always weighed/measured.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Read the labels carefully. And look up the words you don't understand. "Modified food starch" for example, is often an indication that there is gluten in the product.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    How about eating foods that naturally contain no gluten? Are you sure it's the gluten?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Odds are: you suspect wrong.
  • BeaBizzy
    BeaBizzy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on modified food starch. I am not sure gluten is my weight problem but think it is my GI issue. When I eat pasta or a bread I get gasy. Meats, vegetables and fruits don't seem to bring on the explosions. I want to try gluten free to see if GI issues go away. A bit concerned about finding and knowing about the hidden glutens like ??? modified corn starch. I purchased some almond and coconut flour to replace the wheat flour, I don't bake much but thought I would try some to replace my occasional urge for a bread or pastry dessert item.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Odds are: you suspect wrong.

^This.

huffingtonpost.ca/2014/05/14/gluten-intolerance-fake_n_5327420.html

If you actually have celiac disease, that's a different story. In that case you'd have to avoid all gluten, including tiny trace amounts. But celiac is relatively rare. And gluten is in tons of foods where you may not suspect you'd find it, not just in pasta or bread.

If not, odds are there's something else making you feel this way. And you can eat gluten if you want.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    "Modified corn starch" is gluten free.