New to the weight loss forum

Options
Hi and good luck everybody. I am 53 and needing to lose 30+ lbs. I have used My Fitness Pal in the past and was very successful with it. It's when I stopped using it that my weight went out of control or my eating junk food did. I find I don't eat for the nourishment but out of boredom most of the time. I enjoy bicycling and kayaking but my generic form of exercise is walking. I find it difficult to find the motivation to do this in the winter months. I know I will become active again when the weather warms up but what to do in the mean time? I hope to find some friends that can help me along the weight loss journey.

Replies

• cjjoly1952
    cjjoly1952 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Sandy. I am 62 and need to lose atleast 20. Of course 30 would be better but doctor would be happy with the 20. I also have used My Fitness Pal in the past and weight watchers too. I know what to do. Its just the doing it. I also eat out of boredom in the evening. I swim three times a week and just restarted walking daily. I am going on a Caribbean cruise in October and don't want to be" the fat lady snorkeling. " good luck to both of us on this journey.
  • pitapam97
    pitapam97 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello Sandy and cjjoly. I am 59 and need to loose 20-25 lbs. the last couple of years were extremely stressful years and I just did a lot of stress eating and no exercising. I have also done WW and my fitness pal. I was pleased with both. I am in the relocation stage of my life, so WW is not an option right now. Good luck to both of you.
    Pam
  • mamacalor
    Options
    Good evening, I want to jump in on this weightloss "adventure" with you three ladies. I'm a wife, mom of one son, 35, and I need to lose 20lbs. I'm miserable. I tell myself that I'm just going to be happy with the way I look. However, what I'm seeing in the mirror is apparently not what the camera sees. I'm hoping to cut back to only two chins by summer. May I join this journey?

How do I add people to my app?

By the way, my name is Jenny. I live in Texas. It's very nice to meet you.
  • pitapam97
    Options
    Hello jenny, I am located in Central CA. I am also on the two chin goal. I was joking around with my grandkids the other day and saw pic they took. I was mortified when I saw the pic!!!!! It is time for me to get back on track.
  • 49Elle
    49Elle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, apart from Jenny who is younger - it is lovely to hear of other females here in the 'mature' age bracket - like a red wine, we become more mellow and delicious with age ;) but that does not mean we are not active.
    -
    I live in Australia.. so it is summer here at present. I enjoy biking and kayaking as well even though I am heavy (I have 60+ lbs to lose), I find walking difficult due to leg issues but make a point of pushing the lawn mower around regularly. No doubt losing the weight will help me no end, and I am fed up looking and feeling horrible about my weight.

I would enjoy having more MFP friends for suggestions and ideas of mixing it up to get results, and mutual support. Pam I know what you mean about the 'fat photos' I hate them all and this time I AM going to win the fight of the fat!!

Jenny you can't add friends through the 'app' on your phone. From what I have read you have to go to the full website and add from there. I am only new here too (a fortnight) and not that familiar with the site.

I would be really pleased to add you all as friends if welcome.
    Elle
  • cjjoly1952
    Options
    Hello ladies and my name is Charlotte and I live in southern Arizona. My clothes are all getting too tight and I will be darned if I'll buy larger sizes. Last year was one medical issue after another with my husband. Hoping this year goes more smoothly and I can get my eating under control.
  • debbiehamby
    debbiehamby Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sandy, have you heard of the DVD Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds? She has walks up to 5 miles you can do indoors . I just started it again today.
  • IammeCA
    IammeCA Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am also starting on the journey. I've lost about 20 pounds so far but still have a long way to go. I noticed some of you talked about depression/boredom eating. I have struggled with this for a long time and finally hit upon a solution that is working for me and wanted to pass it on.

I have made a hard and fast rule that I do not eat anything unless I am sitting at the table. If I want potato chips I get some and sit at the table (not in front of the TV or at the computer. At work I clear a spot at my desk (we don't have a break room) that is my "table", when I went to a party I planed in advance what constituted a "table".

This one simple rule has been a huge help to me and I hope it might work for some of you.

Good luck.
  • pitapam97
    Options
    I have several Leslie's DVDs and loved them. I am currently staying at some friends house until I can get into my own place. Soon I hope. I am going to attempt to start walking again atleast a mile a day-again. My daughter has a beautiful farm and I should be walking there-I will get my motivation going and make it a daily habit again. I am going to try the eating at he table and not my room. That is a great idea. Thx.
  • pitapam97
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I forgot to say thanks ladies and I am excited to do this with new friends.
  • 49Elle
    49Elle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    pitapam97 wrote: »
    I forgot to say thanks ladies and I am excited to do this with new friends.

Me too :)
  • cjjoly1952
    Options
    Good morning ladies. So happy to see a nice group of people all in the same boat.
    We all know what to do. Now let's do it.
  • dragonfireart
    Options
    Hello from the frozen north of Canada. I'm a 57 year old grandmother of 6 that needs to lose another 60lbs. I've already lost 50 with the help of My Fitness Pal. I have Arthritis in both hips so hard and fast walking is out. I've opted for water exercise to assist me. I love the knowledge that I'm not alone in the exciting new way to get healthy. I really like the idea of only eating at the table. I've been using a very small bowl to help cut down on the amount eaten for comfort or boardem but to move to the kitchen table is a really great idea
    It's taken me years to gain the weight and though this way is slow, it's working. It's so realistic to plan for the snacks and realize that life is like this ... plan ahead, monderation in all things and enjoy life
  • SandyFieser
    Options
    Good luck on your goal. I've heard water exercise is a very healthy way to go
  • SandyFieser
    Options
    Sandy, have you heard of the DVD Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds? She has walks up to 5 miles you can do indoors . I just started it again today.

• SandyFieser
    Options
    Hi Debbie and thank you for reminding me about the video. I do have it. I need to make sure no one has filled the space I use to work out indoors.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Any of you, please feel free to add me. I'm 53 with 30 lbs to lose (but 7 have come off since I joined MFP 19 days ago, and I am super excited about this now). These are the same 30 lbs I took off once before in my life, when I was 18, and they stayed off with no fuss for all these years until I turned 50, and then I started gaining like gangbusters. In the short time I've been on here, I've discovered that most of my misc. aches and pains have disappeared, and I may be a little slow, but I do think it is eating healthier foods and cutting way, way down on sugar and empty carbs. Most of my friends on here don't post a whole lot, so I am really hoping to find some "chatty" folks to help keep me coming back, eager to see what you all have to say about your journeys.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    PS: I love snorkeling, and walking is my preferred daily exercise. My feet had been aching horribly when I walked, but for the first time in my life, I invested in some "real" walking/running shoes (Nike Air Pegasus--they are CUSHIONED!!!) and now I'm trucking along at 4 mph for several miles at a time, ice and snow permitting. I do have arthritis in my big toes, though, which I have to take care of...I dog paddle in the pool and feel a little silly going alone, mainly because of that. I can swim, but I simply hate putting my face in the water. I have a houseful of dogs and like vegan cooking when I feel like cooking...I'm curious about how you manage to walk 5 miles in the house.
  • cjjoly1952
    Options
    Evening ladies. Just finished a good homemade Spanish rice dish. I have modified it to make it less calories and a bit healthier. Still have calories left for evening snacks. Hope you all had good days.
  • cjjoly1952
    Options
    Oh I thought I would add that I do my weigh in on Friday mornings.