Too much sugar?

Hi all! I've been logging for a few weeks and doing pretty well, but I am finding I almost always exceed my sugar goal by about 10-20 g. (I usually get the warning about my sugar goal.). I started with the default goal for weight loss - 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein. The only way I have been able to stay under my sugar is by keeping myself below the 50% on carbs and above on protein. The carbs I'm eating are fresh fruits like blueberries, apples, and grapefruit. I'm finding that even the fresh veggies though (zucchini) tip me over the sugar goal.m

I'm sure I'm missing some low in sugar carbs that I should be adding into my diet... Any advice?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Unless you have a medical reason I wouldn't worry about the sugar from fruit. There are lots of low in sugar carbs (potatoes, beans, oatmeal, etc.), but if you prefer fruit there's no reason to eat those instead.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,185 Member
    Sugar tastes good in the whole foods where it's found so putting it in just about every food where it isn't found makes food taste better, not rocket surgery and the reason why tracking sugar is pointless. Track carbs unless of course you have a medical reason to do that.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a medical condition that requires you to track. I add sugar to almost nothing and eat little that has added sugars and I am almost always over on my sugar intake because of fruit. I have no reason to track sugar so I now track fiber.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    I wouldn't worry about that unless you have a medical condition which requires you to monitor sugar. Fruit is excellent for you. Days I have fruit I consider it a win because its so healthy for you. The sugar is naturally occurring sugar, so you will be fine!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,185 Member
    I wouldn't worry about that unless you have a medical condition which requires you to monitor sugar. Fruit is excellent for you. Days I have fruit I consider it a win because its so healthy for you. The sugar is naturally occurring sugar, so you will be fine!
    What so vital in fruit that can't be found in vegetables?

• teede3bee
    teede3bee Posts: 6 Member
    Ok thanks everyone! Appreciate the input. :-). No medical condition and I'm not adding sugar to anything, just the natural sugars in fresh fruit and veg. I'll stop worrying so much about being 6 or so g over every once in awhile.