Anyone watch TLC's "My Big Fat Fabulous Life"?

Options
SusanDLP
SusanDLP Posts: 36 Member
We don't have cable at home so I really enjoy watching while I am at the Y. Tonight I was watching TLC and "My Big Fat Fabulous Life" came on. I don't know if it was the first episode but it may have been since the intro was so long.

I don't know what to make of it....

Replies

• SusanDLP
    Options
    Anyone?
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I've seen the previews but haven't seen an entire episode. Its great how confident she is and sad how some people treat her but I hope she has plans to try to lose some of that weight, itcant be healthy. Fat shaming is horrible but I'm not sure if fat acceptance is good either. *shrugs*
  • SusanDLP
    Options
    I felt torn watching it, too. She attributed much of her weight gain to PCOS and I had no idea that it could cause such extreme gain(s).
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with PCOS and the weight gain, acne and hair loss problems are real but I'm like you, I didn't know it caused that much weight gain. I've seen lots of people here on the forums who have PCOS and have lost and kept off weight so it is possible. I saw a clip from an episode and she had to have her mom shave her legs!! :'(
  • bellabutt3
    bellabutt3 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yep I love it! Shes a beautiful girl full of positive spirit. It hurts to be judged...she works hard to get past that and she can really dance! My favorite though is her mom...what a trip she is :)
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've seen the 3 episodes so far and I am definitely torn. I say good for her for dancing and not letting her weight prevent her from doing what she loves, but on the other hand she can't really be upset for getting "hate mail" if you are going to allow camera crews to film your life. Like others I am not sure to what degree PCOS would affect your weight, but it seems very excessive to me. Fat shaming is wrong, but I don't think fat acceptance is the answer either.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    In the preview at least it seemed like she was both doing fat acceptance and looking to lose weight.

I don't think the two things have to be at odd. We only have one life to live, don't waste it judging yourself, get busy living! Dieting can fit into that.
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Her Mom is hilarious. I feel she could appreciate her parents a little more. Like her energy and positive outlook but feel she could take a little more responsibility for her choices and actions.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I've been watching it. I like her. I am also fairly unfamiliar with PCOS. I know someone who has it and they have always battled their weight and had difficulty getting pregnant. I like that she is honest that she is not happy with her weight but happy with her life and is trying to lose weight. It upset me to see her get called names in that parking lot scene. And I love her Mom! She needs her own show. I do wonder how you live at home with no current employment and you room and car are a mess. But, hey, no one is perfect but that *kitten* would not work in my house.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I watched it. I'm not sure what I think. While I love her personality and sense of humour, I almost feel like she places too much blame on her PCOS. And wow can she shake it! I mean I can't dance like that and I weight less than half of her weight! I will continue to watch because she is such a likable person and I want to see where she takes it.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I watched it. I'm not sure what I think. While I love her personality and sense of humour, I almost feel like she places too much blame on her PCOS. And wow can she shake it! I mean I can't dance like that and I weight less than half of her weight! I will continue to watch because she is such a likable person and I want to see where she takes it.

I agree with this. It doesn't look like she is doing anything in the way of food choices so far to help with the weight loss. But we're only a couple of episodes in.

• efink85
    efink85 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    First, no one should be called names or degraded. And I respect her for loving herself no matter what (If you can't love yourself, how can you expect anyone else to?).

However, she is making excuses for herself by blaming PCOS and that irritates me. A symptom of PCOS is being overweight, but that doesn't mean you are stuck being fat and overweight. As someone who has PCOS and was over 200lbs, she is full of *kitten*. I gradually changed my eating habits -I cut out junk food, soda, fast food and now eat healthy and relatively clean. And I got off my *kitten* and started exercising and I am now a healthy 145lbs with great blood pressure, 21% body fat, a low resting heart rate, and I have stamina to do the things I want to do. Will I ever be supermodel/actress skinny-no, will I ever have a six pack- probably not, but that's okay because I'm the healthiest I've ever been.

She's got the exercising part down, but she needs to take an honest look at what she is putting in her body and deal with any food issues she may have that are the contributing factor for her weight gain.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I don't have cable (getting rid of it was the best thing I've done in years) so I haven't watched it, but I saw her quoted in several articles about the show and she's really pushing the fat acceptance thing, which I detest.

As for the PCOS, this board is full of ladies who've dealt with that condition and managed to either maintain or achieve a healthy weight. It's not like a PCOS diagnosis sentences you to obesity for life.
  • RebeccaChemmy
    RebeccaChemmy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I saw an advert for it earlier. PCOS has probably played such a minute role in such a weight gain that really she's just fooling herself.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it, is it about fat gay people?

I would watch that!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I've seen the previews but haven't seen an entire episode. Its great how confident she is and sad how some people treat her but I hope she has plans to try to lose some of that weight, itcant be healthy. Fat shaming is horrible but I'm not sure if fat acceptance is good either. *shrugs*

Fat Acceptance is basically recognising that fat people deserve respect and have every right to be proud of themselves and happy with the way they look whether they want to lose weight or not.
  • Smart_Beautiful_and_Strong
    Options
    I love this show! Whitney is fabulous! She's like the rest of us, a work in progress....but she loves herself and has fun along the way!
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I can't watch the show. I've tried, but I ended up rolling my eyes so much I was afraid they'd just plop out of my head and roll on across the floor.

I think what really bothered me was how she blamed her weight on PCOS.

I have PCOS. But the link between being overweight AND PCOS is really tricky. Women with PCOS produce too much insulin, or the insulin they produce does not work as it should. Since the insulin can't function normally, women with PCOS CAN experience weight gain or difficulty losing weight. HOWEVER, sometimes PCOS can develop after substantial weight gain. There isn't a ton known about it and at least for me, when I was diagnosed, it had me wondering, "Well...did I develop PCOS because I really like donuts and beer and pizza or was there something else?"

I try to reserve judgement whenever possible, especially since I've only seen a small glimpse into this woman's life; however, there can be a plethora of other factors at play. For her to just blame it on one thing seems like finding a scapegoat for what COULD be poor diet or other factors.

Just my two cents. :smile:
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched it but from what I saw of the commercials, the first thing that came to mind is "Wow, as much as she's moving, she must be TEARING UP some food". There's no reason she should be as big as she is unless she is eating up everything. Cause she seems like she dances a lot. But whatevs. I don't understand why anyone would send her hate mail for being fat, seems ridiculous. But I guess you have to be ready for that kind of crap.
  • KaptainMorgan
    Options
    I love her, and I love her Mom too! She rocks those dance moves! No one should be critical of her... after all, aren't we all here on My Fitness Pal for the same reason~ to be FITNESS PALS? Is she obese? Yes. That being said, no matter what her reason(s) for obesity are, you must give her credit for not using her obesity as a crutch! Whether she blames her obesity on PCOS, or any other syndrome or condition is besides the point... this girl is outside, dancing, enjoying life, going to the beach, and enjoying every minute of it. I can't say that for most healthy people that I know, let alone my obese friends and family. More power to her! We need more positive people on television like her. More positivity and less negativity.... we could all use that!