How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I am in week one of trying to get in shape and was wondering how often people weigh themselves. Especially just starting out. I haven't stepped on the scale yet. I want to see it drop and I'm scared.

Thanks for any input!!

Replies

• webuiltthisnicky
    webuiltthisnicky Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just started last week and I think I'll weigh in weekly. First weigh-in is tomorrow. Any more than weekly and I think a change could be anything from water weight to a big dinner you had the day before.
  • khol1
    khol1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly, anything more than that gets me down and doesn't help me get motivated, but it depends what motivates you :) Everyone's different!
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Once a week. Any more and I'd start obssessing too much. I'd also recommend you get a tape measure and measure yourself, as you may not lose weight but may show reduction in size.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Too often!! Taking the battery out of my scale and giving it to my hubby for safe keeping stopped my stupid habit of weighing daily. I now weigh about every 10 days to 2 weeks, and I have to beg for the battery to make the scale work!
  • WickyDunn
    WickyDunn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Once a week, first thing on a Monday morning for me!
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself rarely, but I have 10-15lbs to lose and am losing at 1/2 lb a week (or slightly under) So weighing weekly doesn't really show anything, but every month or two I can see the scale going down.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Every other week on the same scale, as much as possible at the same time. I don't have a scale at home and use the digital one at the Y.
  • AngelMarie38
    Options
    Great idea to measure yourself as well. I will have to do that!
  • desika8787
    desika8787 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I do it once a week :) same day, same time when my body is in its same "state" :) I do also take measurements once a week because I am doing a high impact workout each day and I am focused on that instead of my weight itself in an isolated point of view :)

Good luck, ladies - and gentlemen :)
  • fitgirlrealness
    fitgirlrealness Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Once a week during Sundays! The most I would ever weigh myself in one week is twice. Taking measurements is also great as sometimes the scale doesn't show much progress :)
  • vidalia222
    Options
    I get weighed every morning but only count the reading on a Monday morning. I know we are told not to weigh too often but I find it works for me as a motivator and I know if it goes up slightly midweek not to worry about it too much.
  • suzidoo60
    Options
    Daily, when I get out of bed. I have done for years whether I'm dieting or not. I get to know what are normal variations in weight and what is unusual weight gain.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    suzidoo60 wrote: »
    Daily, when I get out of bed. I have done for years whether I'm dieting or not. I get to know what are normal variations in weight and what is unusual weight gain.

Ditto.
    It's just data to me.
  • HappyLifting89
    Options
    I would say do it once, then wait a couple of weeks. You also have to realize you retain water weight. People forget about this when they get on the scale, you might lose 2lbs this week, and go up 1lb next week. It doesn't necessarily mean you gained weight, it is simply water. I weighed myself before I started gaining muscle mass (body building), and then at 6 months I did it again, and now 1 year (jan 5th, 2015) later I weighed in. I base my weight on my clothes and how they fit. Took me a year to put on 15lbs of muscle mass with good eating and good sleep habits. Maintaing that weight is where I am now, so the scale will go in the closet.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and log it on my Happy Scale app, I log my weight on MFP once a week (Wednesday's). Weighing daily allows me to make adjustments so I don't go over a 2lb loss per week. I take measurements once a month (on the 1st)
  • emma_vdv
    emma_vdv Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Every Monday, if I do it more often I know I'll just worry about why I'm not seeing daily losses
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, but only record it on Monday. Weighing daily helps keep me on track, but I don't flip out over variation when recording only weekly.
  • lauraturburville203
    Options
    I weigh 2-3 times a week but I only log every Monday's measurements. I weighed in this morning, 1st time for two weeks & i've some how lost 6lbs :) happy days! x
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone. I keep stepping on the scale hoping they will magically change. I record once a week (which will be this evening before bed ) and take a measurement. I've only done my stomach and chest but someone said to do aroundyour thighs so might start that too
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I do it every day, I can't help myself. The positive is that it's great to see a drop, any drop, because it's encouraging. But the negative is that if the scale doesn't move, it can be discouraging, even though I know it's not supposed to move every day, I'm not the most patient person. As I get further along my journey I hope to step on the scale just once a week.