• MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    "Perseverance and dicipline".
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    All I've ever said is that weighing food is inaccurate. I never said it wasn't less inaccurate than eyeballing. The problem I see with telling people they have to weigh their food is that it causes people to obsess over something that will always be inaccurate, when all they really need to do is eat less than what they have been.

The problem is that you tell people who are usually looking for answers to why they have stalled this.

Most people who weigh food don't obsess. A scale is a tool. And a useful one in helping people analyze their intake. It's not helpful to undermine its value based on your very narrow personal experience. Especially since the margin of its inaccuracy is really rather insignificant compared to your method.

You can't really determine how much people should expect to lose based on their calorie deficit if you can't accurately determine what their calorie deficit is. Even if you could determine how much people are eating to the 1/100th of a calorie, the inaccuracies in calorie burn estimates would make it pointless. The most accurate answer we can give people who aren't losing weight is that they are eating too much and exercising too little. While we don't have accurate information about how much they are eating and how much effort they are putting in, they know exactly (though they can't express it) and can adjust their intake and effort as required.
    Your logic is completely flawed. You're saying that just because counting calories and estimating burns won't be 100% accurate that we shouldn't bother. This is a calorie counting site and we give advice to help people get closer to their goals. You are simply telling people don't bother tracking as accurately as possible and just see what happens. You are telling this to people that are usually obese or overweight and get easily discouraged. It's just backwards.

Also, qgain, where are your progress pictures.

Do you think he takes them?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    cerad2 wrote: »
    The minimum exercise guidelines are:
    • 30 minutes daily for general health benefits
    • 60 minutes daily for maintaining weight
    • 90 minutes daily for losing weight
    Over the last 90 days, my weight loss average has been 1.94 lbs per week. I eyeball my food portions and I put in about seven hours of exercise each week. On non-exercise days, I eat 1600 calories. On days I exercise, I eat as many as 800 extra calories.
    Now I'm confused. Your first post said you needed 10.5 hours of exercise per week to lose weight. But then you say you are steadily losing weight with only 7 hours per week?

My first post states the guidelines the CDC will give you. The study that came up with those guidelines was focused on how much activity people need to be healthy, not how much activity people need to lose weight. Obviously, you could lie in bed all day and lose weight, but that isn't the healthiest way to lose weight.

My 7 hours per week is mainly due to the sun setting so early. This summer, I'll probably be putting in 10+ hours of exercise. But by that time, I should be at my goal weight anyway.

You know the recommendation is for activity not outright exercise?

Their recommendation is for moderately-intense activity, which is activity that raises your heart rate and causes you to sweat. Examples are things like walking fast, riding a bike on level ground or with a few hills, and pushing a lawn mower. For vigorous-intensity activities, the guidelines cut the number of hours in half. Examples of vigorous-intensity are jogging or running, riding a bike fast or on hills, and playing basketball.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    All I've ever said is that weighing food is inaccurate. I never said it wasn't less inaccurate than eyeballing. The problem I see with telling people they have to weigh their food is that it causes people to obsess over something that will always be inaccurate, when all they really need to do is eat less than what they have been.

The problem is that you tell people who are usually looking for answers to why they have stalled this.

Most people who weigh food don't obsess. A scale is a tool. And a useful one in helping people analyze their intake. It's not helpful to undermine its value based on your very narrow personal experience. Especially since the margin of its inaccuracy is really rather insignificant compared to your method.

You can't really determine how much people should expect to lose based on their calorie deficit if you can't accurately determine what their calorie deficit is. Even if you could determine how much people are eating to the 1/100th of a calorie, the inaccuracies in calorie burn estimates would make it pointless. The most accurate answer we can give people who aren't losing weight is that they are eating too much and exercising too little. While we don't have accurate information about how much they are eating and how much effort they are putting in, they know exactly (though they can't express it) and can adjust their intake and effort as required.

Measuring intake has nothing to do with expected rates of loss or calorie burns... why are you bringing those into the discussion?

We're simply talking about a tool for measuring intake. Nothing more, nothing less.

People who are at a standstill are often underestimating their intake. A tool for measuring it is often helpful. It's as simple as that.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    cerad2 wrote: »
    Over the last 90 days, my weight loss average has been 1.94 lbs per week. I eyeball my food portions and I put in about seven hours of exercise each week. On non-exercise days, I eat 1600 calories. On days I exercise, I eat as many as 800 extra calories.
    Now I'm confused. Your first post said you needed 10.5 hours of exercise per week to lose weight. But then you say you are steadily losing weight with only 7 hours per week?

My first post states the guidelines the CDC will give you. The study that came up with those guidelines was focused on how much activity people need to be healthy, not how much activity people need to lose weight. Obviously, you could lie in bed all day and lose weight, but that isn't the healthiest way to lose weight.

My 7 hours per week is mainly due to the sun setting so early. This summer, I'll probably be putting in 10+ hours of exercise. But by that time, I should be at my goal weight anyway.

You know the recommendation is for activity not outright exercise?

Their recommendation is for moderately-intense activity, which is activity that raises your heart rate and causes you to sweat. Examples are things like walking fast, riding a bike on level ground or with a few hills, and pushing a lawn mower. For vigorous-intensity activities, the guidelines cut the number of hours in half. Examples of vigorous-intensity are jogging or running, riding a bike fast or on hills, and playing basketball.

So the OP is thinking of doing something a little more intense than walking and gardening (as he's going to the gym for the activity) we can assume the the guideline you posted at the beginning needed this caviat. Woops.

Edit: The actual cdc page:

Moderate Intensity
    Walking briskly (3 miles per hour or faster, but not race-walking)
    Water aerobics
    Bicycling slower than 10 miles per hour
    Tennis (doubles)
    Ballroom dancing
    General gardening

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/adults.html

Not quite what you are selling.

• The_Fitness_Foodie
    The_Fitness_Foodie Posts: 95 Member
    Options

This is wrong....

The NHS guidelines for adults aged 19-64 to stay healthy are:

1) At least 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) of moderate intensity aerobic activity such as cycling or fast walking every week.

2) We should do muscle/strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week that work all major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders and arms).

One way to do your recommended 150 minutes of weekly physical activity is to do 30 minutes exercise 5 days a week.

All adults should also break up long periods of sitting with light activity, as sedentary behaviour is now considered an independent risk factor for ill health, no matter how much exercise you do.

Moderate intensity activity will raise your heart rate and make you breathe faster and feel warmer. One way to tell if you're working at a moderate intensity is if you can still talk, but you can't sing the words to a song.

Vigorous intensity aerobic activity means you're breathing hard and fast, and your heart rate has gone up quite a bit. If you're working at this level, you won't be able to say more than a few words without pausing for a breath.

It is also believed that 75 minutes of vigorous intensity activity can give similar health benefits to 150 minutes of moderate intensity activity.

xXx
  • TimothyFish
    Options

Your logic is completely flawed. You're saying that just because counting calories and estimating burns won't be 100% accurate that we shouldn't bother. This is a calorie counting site and we give advice to help people get closer to their goals. You are simply telling people don't bother tracking as accurately as possible and just see what happens. You are telling this to people that are usually obese or overweight and get easily discouraged. It's just backwards.

yopeeps025 wrote: »

Frankly, I don't care if I persuade you or not. If you don't want to believe me, it's your loss. But you have made the charge that what I have said is incorrect and you have come very close to charging me with lying. What I have stated, I have stated truthfully. If you care to call me a liar, the burden of proof is on you. And if you don't believe one thing else I say, believe this, I have no fear of you proving your charge.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Frankly, I don't care if I persuade you or not. If you don't want to believe me, it's your loss. But you have made the charge that what I have said is incorrect and you have come very close to charging me with lying. What I have stated, I have stated truthfully. If you care to call me a liar, the burden of proof is on you. And if you don't believe one thing else I say, believe this, I have no fear of you proving your charge.

Well you lost credibility when you pull up some answer you found on goggle which was wrong still. OP could have research an answer like your first post in this thread.

Also reread your post above. It makes no sense.

• TimothyFish
    Options

I will accept your burden of proof even though technically it's on you. Well, I lost the weight, counted caloeies, weighed out my food, didn't become obsessed with it, I didn't work out nearly as much as you say is needed and I have physical evidence to show what I've achieved. Where is yours? I'm asking for the 4th time.

I never asked for proof that you lost weight. You said you did, so I'm willing to accept that.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    forget exercise. until you cut calories you will never lose weight nor will you sustain such weight loss