What's a good way to make this? ("Fried" sweet potatoes)

Options
2»

Replies

• thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I just put the whole sweet potato on the BBQ, rotate every 10-15 mins for 1 hour, and when done, peel the skin off.

I will have to try some of these other methods.
    Bumping
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    you could chop the potato into 'chips' and add some spray butter, rosemary, and black pepper. then cook in the microwave on 'potato' setting.

another way is grilled. just chop into wedges and add some general grilling seasoning. (like mrs. dash, or something similar.) lightly coat the wedges with cooking spray. place on the grill until slightly crispy.
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I peel them & cut them up like fries then spray a cookie sheet with olive oil Pam. Place them on the cookie sheet , spray the fries with more olive oil spray & sprinkle them with whatever seasoning you desire. Spicy, salty, italian, or whatever you like. Bake them in a 375 degree oven for about 40-45 minutes depending on size of wedges. Or until crispy & cooked inside.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I make a recipe for sweetpotato fries that I am addicted to! I peel and cut the potatos into wedges roughly 1/4" thick (think homefries) and put them in a bowl. Drizzle some olive oil over them and generously sprinkle on chili powder, chipotle chili powder, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, a little sea salt and just about 1 tsp. sugar--this isn't enough to really sweeten them or cause any calorie damage, but it helps to carmelize them and really boosts the flavor of the spices. Toss them with your hands to evenly distribute the spices. Put them on a cookie sheet and bake them at 375 degrees for roughly 20-30 mins or until they are done to your liking. I like them crisp and even a little burnt, lol. Good luck and enjoy.
    Did this last night, but I didn't have the chili powder. I used a bit of cayenne and a bit of paprika. Also added to parsley flakes for a little color. T'was good. :drinker:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I don't know what a classic "fried potato" recipe is like. We probably call them "home fries" or something 'round these parts.

I just wanted to mention that lately I've been eating sweet potatoes any way I'd eat regular potatoes and haven't had anything more than a delicious experience yet!

Lately I've grown very fond of baking them and topping them with butter, salt, and sour cream (in reasonable amounts, of course). I've even put butter, brown sugar, and sour cream on one. It's all freaking awesome! :laugh:

So, I'd cut up my potatoes, chop up about half an onion, add to a skillet, and fry in some olive oil with some salt & seasonings as I would regular potatoes to make home fries. Sometimes if I have a really big sweet potato that's hard to cut, I'll soften it by microwaving it for a minute or two before cutting.
  • laurafawne
    laurafawne Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato hash: Peel and cube sweet potatoes. Stir fry in a bit of oil. Add cubed red bell pepper, red onion, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until pepper and onion are tender, and sweet potatoes are starting to break down, and green onions and cilantro at the end for color and additional flavor. This has enough flavor that you could probably skip the salt if you needed/wanted to.
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I peel and cut into strips. In a bowl, toss with just enough EVOO to coat then sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, pepper and a pinch of red pepper. I bake at 350 for 10-20 minutes. At 10 minutes flip and then just watch them. I take them out as soon as they start getting soft. I like a bit of firmness to them and leaving them in too long with make them mushy and hard to pick up. I like to dip them in ketchup or ranch dressing.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I made fried sweet potatoes the other night with olive oil and Mrs. Dash and added some pecans.