Women over 50, different % balance?

Options
13»

Replies

• meltsaway
    Options
    Thanks for this thread! I'm 48 and new to this site (about one month). Going through perimenopause and finding it harder than ever to lose weight, and easier than ever to gain. Yes, I love food, but even ten years ago, when I needed to lose weight, I'd count calories and lose 3 lbs a week easy. Now. It's Lose one pound this week and gain it back next week. Plus I'm exercising more than I ever have in my life.. I have been eating about half of my exercise calories, so maybe I will stop doing that and see if it helps. I'm not discouraged though-- exercise is making we feel so much better health and mood wise, so

I'm in it to win it. But I do believe for some of us, peri and menopause change our bodies signifcantly and weight gain is an effect-- that's a fact. Sleepless nights & anxiety-- bad for weight loss. Look at how many older women have bellies. I don't believe we have to look like that-- but it requires more effort than when you are younger.

My doctor put it very well: she said menopause and mid life is the time when your body is done with you-- reproduction is ending-- you no longer serve that biological purpose--so the body says: you want to stick around or not?
  • windeecity
    windeecity Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 and have lost 14 pounds since November. I count my calories and stopped drinking sodas, starbucks and plan my meals ahead of time. But the worst thing I can't control is the increase in sagging skin on my arms and face due to my weight loss. I am 5' 2", weigh in at 140 now and my goal is 130. What are you Ladies doing to avoid the sag?
  • lrozner
    lrozner Posts: 5
    Options
    Most helpful group yet. Can I join?
    I am 51 and struggling to lose 38 pounds of fat. I have great LBM % and no trouble gaining muscle, but losing fat has been very, very difficult. I've tried just about everything to lose the fat and its kinda making me crazy. My BMR is 1600 calories and I exercise at least 5x per week (HIIT, spin, hike/walk, weights) so my nutritinist put me on 1800 calories per day 50%C/20%P/30%F. It's not working, so I just reduced my calorie goal to 1600. Any recommendations?