Help with Canned smoked oysters

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
edited January 2015 in Recipes
So I have this can of smoked oysters and I have never had them before (Ive had oysters just not canned ones). I was looking up things to do with them and I really only come across appetizers and spreads. Any other Ideas? I want them in/with a meal. I was thinking of putting them on my salad but am slightly hesitant. I welcome any suggestions for incorporating them into a simple meal. Thanks!
BTW-for any anemics out there the whole can(2 servings) has 70% of your daily iron needs.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    So I have this can of smoked oysters and I have never had them before (Ive had oysters just not canned ones). I was looking up things to do with them and I really only come across appetizers and spreads. Any other Ideas? I want them in/with a meal. I was thinking of putting them on my salad but am slightly hesitant. I welcome any suggestions for incorporating them into a simple meal. Thanks!
    BTW-for any anemics out there the whole can(2 servings) has 70% of your daily iron needs.

On your salad with the juice sounds good. I do that fairly often with herring and sardines.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Thanks! I wasn't sure if the texture would be off in the salad, but hey only one way to find out.
  • guenevererose
    Options
    Serve them on a bed of spinach to complete your iron requirement. What about sodium?
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I put them on Pizza, every time, whether I make it or order it. (Drain first of course). Also put them in pasta sauces.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Toss them with canned octopus, clams, and a firm white fish in a seafood salad. Make a lemon vinaigrette out of lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and fresh herbs. You can add some diced tomato, cucumber, maybe some kalamata olives. Honestly, I really dislike canned oysters, but they're tolerable with other seafood in a mix.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Serve them on a bed of spinach to complete your iron requirement. What about sodium?
    surprisingly the sodium isn't that bad. the whole can (2 servings) is 14% daily sodium rda
    I thought it would be much more
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I love smoked oysters. I usually just eat them on crackers, but there are some great ideas here!
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I had no idea! I love smoked canned oysters and am anemic, now I found the perfect snack! Thanks!