Tell me 1 lb a week is good; ready to try something more drastic.

Options
Whatever I do, I like to do it big. I get motivated by big changes, and big results. I'm an overachiever:)

I have lost weight in the pass with Atkins, and by drinking green smoothies for two meals a day- both which were not sustainable for the long term.

I'm here now. I lost 10 pounds pretty quickly earlier this month (Holiday weight/water weight) by cutting out "sugar" for a week or so and found it easy to stay under calories. I realize it's not necessary for weight loss and not sustainable (for me) in the long term, especially in a house with a husband and 4 kids. Now I'm eating different things, including things I love (had banana pudding and cookies last night, key lime pie and pancakes over the weekend) and it takes more thought to stay under calories for sure. It looks like I am on track for a 1 lb a week loss. I know this is Good and sustainable but need somebody to talk some sense into me because this doesn't feel like, "Go Big or Go Home." I like to see that scale drop every other day.

I'm very tempted to just tell hubby to take all the sweets out the house and do no sugar for a week or two (or three?), or make up some smoothies (which I do drink for breakfast) and start replacing some more meals with them so I can lose quickly, because I know I can. Then I could maintain it by doing things the right way, that's my rationalization. Talk me down from the cliff!

Replies

• Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    *past* not pass
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose?

1lb is a very good rate to preserve your LBM as much as possible .. all weight loss is a mixture of fat, water and LBM, you want to lose as little muscle as possible .. weight training helps
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    1Lb a week is GREAT. As rabbit says: you need to preserve lean body mass. 1LB is good!!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Slow weight loss is sustainable weight loss. None of the options you listed above are sustainable in the long term.

You know what to do, and it's working! Good job, keep going!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    You mean the road to unsustainability and relapse.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    One pound a week is great! The important thing to remember is you didn't gain the weight overnight and you won't lose it overnight either. (We all wish we could, I know.) Taking it slower means you're more likely to stick with it, get the results you want, and be able to maintain them one you hit your goal. Drastic measures often lead to a couple of weeks of big losses and then a "See-Food" diet because your body and brain both feel deprived and can't cope with another green smoothie.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    PS: Key lime pie is worth budgeting for.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

I had that for the first time at a friend's house the other week .. ommnommnomm
  • Holla4mom
    Options
    Okay, possibly dumb questions, but I have to talk to myself like a two year old sometimes when I get in my mood to see some results "right now". And I am hoping that other newbies and people looking for the quick weight loss will see this thread.

How does losing slowly preserve more Lean Body Mass (muscles?)

Why is that good/ necessary for the long term?
    rabbitjb wrote: »

1lb is a very good rate to preserve your LBM as much as possible .. all weight loss is a mixture of fat, water and LBM, you want to lose as little muscle as possible .. weight training helps

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Stick with the current program. It's working, and working well.

If it ain't broke ... right?
  • Holla4mom
    Options
    I have 30 pounds to lose. I am 5'7", 177 pounds.
  • Holla4mom
    Options
    The one DH made was delicious and actually not That calorie dense. It's the Weight Watchers key lime pie recipe. I was leery, but it was delicious. It's actually one of the 5 star recipes with great reviews online about how people who are not watching calories love it.

I had that for the first time at a friend's house the other week .. ommnommnomm

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Holla4mom wrote: »
    Okay, possibly dumb questions, but I have to talk to myself like a two year old sometimes when I get in my mood to see some results "right now". And I am hoping that other newbies and people looking for the quick weight loss will see this thread.

How does losing slowly preserve more Lean Body Mass (muscles?)

Why is that good/ necessary for the long term?

Actually weight training preserves LBM for the most part and when it a deficit, protein consumption should be looked at as well. As far as deficit is concerned the amount of fat you have to lose is also a factor in retaining lean mass, the more you have to lose the higher the deficit you can manage, but the problem with that is compliance.... your probably not going to like feeling hungry and will more than likely eat back the calories that you budgeted for the increased deficit, which just complicates things.... continue what your doing and lift weights if you don't now.

• Sued0nim
    Options
    the more muscle you preserve the higher your maintenance calories

it is a pain to rebuild muscle you've lost and would involve putting on muscle and fat and losing the fat .. so best to hold on to as much as possible

you know .. I actually don't know the sciency bit behind why the slow loss means a smaller proprotion of muscle is lost... opens the floor
  • Holla4mom
    Options
    Higher maintenance calories- BIG incentive!

I am trying to do more resistance training/ bodyweight exercises and will be mindful of protein as well. We have a trainer at church who has had some pretty fantastic results for several of the ladies there (like they have competed and won as Fitness, Figure contestants). I have a question about lifting and will open that up in the appropriate forum.
    the more muscle you preserve the higher your maintenance calories

it is a pain to rebuild muscle you've lost and would involve putting on muscle and fat and losing the fat .. so best to hold on to as much as possible

you know .. I actually don't know the sciency bit behind why the slow loss means a smaller proprotion of muscle is lost... opens the floor

• Holla4mom
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I worry that my flabby bits won't retract accordingly if I loose too quickly, like you sometimes see on people who have gastric surgery. I know some things will never look the same after kids and I accept that. However it is frustrating too when it seems like you work so hard and the scale seems to just creep down or not move at all. Fight the instant gratification you are craving and try to build lasting habits in baby steps. I believe that is what will carry you on your way to your desired result.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Holla4mum,
    Combine your 1lb a week goal with a fitness goal to give yourself the 'go big or go home feeling'. If you are heavy lifting the progression in that will help as you will see success, or if you are running, make it competitive and sign up for a 5 or 10 k.
    Switch your focus from weight loss though still counting your calories) to health and fitness.

Cheers, h.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I have about 88 more pounds to lose (down 40) and it's been slow going, so it's hard to be positive about it all the time. However, I am finding that with the slower loss, I'm having better energy levels, good workouts, and my skin is shrinking reasonably (Something I was concerned about since I had gained my weight very quickly). My body fat percentage is dropping faster than the scale, so that's a nice way to feel better.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is fifty pounds a year. Even if you do have a lot to lose, hey, you're cementing habits, neh?

I would say if you need to add some focus and intensity, I agree with @midddlehaitch. Something athletic would be better.

(Nope, not saying it just because that is precisely what I am doing.... Nope, nope, nope)