Sugar Substitutes

Options
Who here uses sugar substitutes? If so, what do you use? I am a fan of stevia.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Never, I prefer the taste of sugar in the foods where there's sugar and if I add sugar, which is rare, it's normally local honey or maple sugar.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Stevia or honey.

Artificial sweeteners are poison.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    They trigger my migraines so I can't use them. I don't use much sugar unless I'm baking.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Stevia or honey.

Really? do you have proof of that? I would love to read it!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I do not use artificial sweetners! I use regular sugar if sugar is needed
  • Auburneng14
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - quite a wide range of thoughts on this topic!
  • crewcretic
    Options
    Truvia
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Splenda all the way.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I find Stevia has a weird bitter taste so I can't handle that. I use honey in my coffee, coconut sugar or honey in most food that requires some sugar (asian sauces etc.) or xylitol (which tastes closest to sugar and about 40% less calories but is supposed to not trigger the insulin spike regular sugar does).
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I typically use Splenda, though it has a bit of a chemical taste when used in excess (I found the Splenda with fiber guilty of this). I only use it to sweeten plain Greek yogurt (mostly because I really do not want to take more insulin to cover adding sugar instead of Splenda).
  • rperryspct
    rperryspct Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Stevia here for coffee - try not to add sugar to anything else, but will gladly consume it in the form of cookie or chocolate or cake or, well, you get the picture!
  • Auburneng14
    Options
    Amy - I have "developed" a taste for Stevia, but I know what you mean! I only use it in my coffee and to sweeten my black/green tea for something different than water.
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would be able to live w/o artificial sweeteners after cutting (adding) sugar out of my diet.

I eventually cut out the sweeteners with the encouragement of my coach. She simply said 'no more, you don't need it'.

There are a variety of reasons, and one is that sweeteners, no matter what the source, can still spike blood sugar.

Since they have been gone, my 'needs' to sweeten my food have decreased. Still like my desserts but only if they have more flavor over sweet. A lot of foods that I shouldn't be eating now taste too sweet for me, which is good.

Good luck!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

Really? do you have proof of that? I would love to read it!

Read "Sweet Deception" by Dr. Mercola. At least one artificial sweetener was accidentally discovered while formulating poison. All artificial sweeteners cause cancer, brain tumors, and a host of other problems.

I used to drink diet soda thinking I was doing myself a favor. I started having slurred speech and when artificial sweeteners were removed from my diet, my speech returned to normal. Now I drink water, tea, or coffee.

Artificial sweeteners are a neurotoxin. Adults can often recover from the effects, unfortunately children cannot.

Stevia, honey, and maple syrup are natural sweeteners.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't use them because I almost never add sugar to anything, and when I do (a bit to a rhubarb sauce is the only example I can ever think of), I can usually deal just by adding a bit more of a sweeter fruit or see no reason not to add a little sugar, which I know will taste right. I don't eat that much "added sugar" that I see any reason to go crazy avoiding it--the calories aren't that high if you use moderate amounts.

I do consume some products with them, like Quest bars or flavored water/diet soda, mostly. I'm a moderation person when it comes to them. I don't particularly choose one over the others and the products I am thinking of have a variety that all taste okay to me.