Useless Ankles

Hi All,

So I play basketball fairly frequently, and at least twice a year I'll twist my ankle whilst playing, sometimes its from landing funny, other times from landing on someone else's foot (so basically all kinds of landing...).

Any one have any good exercises/tips to strengthen ankles? Also, know of a good ankle brace?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    What's been bomber for my ankles, aside from rock climbing, has been squats, lunges, box jumps, step ups. All with the heaviest weights I can handle.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Trail running. The constant change in terrain works the ankles. I can tell you I've appeared to have twisted my ankle to the point that people are cringing and I'm fine. The muscles around the ankle are strong enough to correct without injuring. Good luck.
  • jmiles81
    jmiles81 Posts: 10 Member
    BOSU balls and stability discs work well for strengthening your ankles. Your gym would most likely have one or both. You can just balance on them or do your squats/lunges/etc. will standing on it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    jmiles81 wrote: »
    BOSU balls and stability discs work well for strengthening your ankles. Your gym would most likely have one or both. You can just balance on them or do your squats/lunges/etc. will standing on it.

Please record and post up any squat and lunge sessions on a bosu or stability disc.
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Lifelong bum ankle here. I tore my achilles in college (decade+ ago), and it's never made it back to full strength.

Staying active healps - lunges and squats! But I do limit the amount of plyo jumps I do (as in - I don't do any). because it makes the tendon inflamed and causes me pain. Better for me to take it easy and be able to consistently work out than get sidelined by an ankle that won't hold up.

I don't wear an ankle brace for workouts, but if you are interested, I use an ankle brace from a company called Back on Track. I've used their horse products for years, and finally got myself a brace this year. It gives NO more stability than a cheap drugstore ankle brace, but I do swear by it for days where my ankle is swollen and painful. It takes about 30 minutes to relieve pain for me. I'm sure there have to be other companies out there that have similar technology out there.