Cycling help?

OK so I am not a fan running, so I bought myself a bike and have began cycling. I went out today, and I am really slow, like really really slow. I was wondering how to improve on speed, should I put my gears on low resistance? I know practice makes perfect and I am going to try and get on my bike 4 times a week but I was wondering just how to improve on speed? If anyone has any other cycling tips or a cycling programme that's worked for you or anything i would much appreciate it, :smile: Thank you !

Replies

• Hey, I cycle a lot and use it as my main mode of transport. I can't recommend it highly enough, so good choice :)
    I started out on a mountain bike and used to crawl the 10KM to work, it'd take 40-45 mins :embarassed: But I kept it up, I got a singlespeed road bike after about 6 months and now it takes me 25mins (I'm also about 30lbs lighter now).

It just takes time for your body to adjust, same as running or strength training, you see progress over time. The only thing that gets you better is perseverance.

As for a tip: You will get the dreaded saddle-*kitten* in the beginning, next time you mount that steed you will know what I mean, but don't let that put you off. Make yourself cycle, as sore as it is, your *kitten* gets used to it.

Happy cycling :smile:
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    I love my bike,now my bike is a bit of a banger but it get me the 6 miles into town from where we live alot of uphill and obviously downhill!!!! lol my gears are not too great but they get me there!Takes me 40 minutes to get to town but a mile of that is uphill and its too hard so I have to walk,but its great fun and Im getting pretty fit!!!! Best of luck and have fun!
  • MacDHH
    MacDHH Posts: 34 Member
    We don't have a car, so we typically cycle to get around. We are also usually lugging at least one of our two kids, either in a seat on the back of the bike, or in a trailer. I too, started out really slow and had a hard time keeping up with my husband. But, as you said, practice makes perfect; it just takes time for your body to get used to the exercise.

Playing around with the gears can help you push through a little bit especially in the beginning, although it's always a bit of a give-and-take. In other words, you can bike in a low gear, meaning it is easier to push the pedal, but you have to pedal very quickly, or you can put it in a high gear, which makes it hard to push, but you won't have to pedal so much to cover the same distance.

I loooove biking: good luck to you!

ETA: biking has helped me lose 10kg, so am now halfway to my weight loss goal, which I assume has also made it easier to bike faster :)
  • AZKat527
    AZKat527 Posts: 31 Member
    I bought a bike today actually...I'm assuming I will also be very slow. But I'm glad to hear perseverance will win out because I also signed up for my first sprint triathlon in 12 weeks (goal to finish). Good luck on your rides, keep us posted.